Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: Those cheap mini pedals

Post by H671 »

sirvill wrote:Hehe.

What sets them apart from the cheap shite of yesteryear is that a lot of them are true bypass, which means even if its a bit shitty but it does the job for one song or one part, its not royally ruining your tone for the rest of the evening :)

Like I have one of those large housing Danelectro FabTones, which is an awful over the top distortion thing - I'd think about using it for the occasional hilarity but the tone suck is nasty.
It's the old story - horses for courses!

The Danelectro tone suck works to my advantage with my Fender Excelsior, it helps to tame some of the inherent shrillness.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

yep just like true-bypass is not always the best, neither are good quality cables. Tone suck? Dial in some more treble! yay!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Mine gives a bad kind of tone suck though... its like its not just the treble, everything sounds worse.

I mean it might be the treble, but I feel like I can't put it back in with the amp.
Kris wrote:
sirvill wrote:Hehe.

What sets them apart from the cheap shite of yesteryear is that a lot of them are true bypass, which means even if its a bit shitty but it does the job for one song or one part, its not royally ruining your tone for the rest of the evening :)

Like I have one of those large housing Danelectro FabTones, which is an awful over the top distortion thing - I'd think about using it for the occasional hilarity but the tone suck is nasty.
ha,my band mate has a rockerverb 100-currently using a fabtone into the fx return.3k+amp with a 30 dollar pedal into the poweramp.
true madness!
Hahaha... that is madness! Is it really noisy?

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

valeton bro, go for it

If you can not get hold of any Hotone :winky:

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

sirvill wrote:
Hahaha... that is madness! Is it really noisy?
yep-but we arent exactly nice music to begin with ha ha!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

So, changing tack slightly, what are the best of these cheapies? And apart from that already mentioned, are there any to really steer clear of?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

hamo wrote:So, changing tack slightly, what are the best of these cheapies? And apart from that already mentioned, are there any to really steer clear of?

TBH I've seen each line has good ones and bad ones - if you're interested just do heaps of research. Or take a punt on some as they're cheap af :D

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

hamo wrote:So, changing tack slightly, what are the best of these cheapies? And apart from that already mentioned, are there any to really steer clear of?
I had a knock off EP booster that worked really well as a clean boost. It was unbranded but easy to find again. It was really cheap too.

Also currently have a 'mightysound' tuner that does the job nicely, and it was incredibly cheap.

I would recommend those two if you're after a clean boost or a tuner. Haven't really tried the other ones.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

has anyone tried the valeton or xvive ditto clones? thinking about a cheap looper for writing at home

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

Kris wrote:has anyone tried the valeton or xvive ditto clones? thinking about a cheap looper for writing at home
havnt tried one myself, but if valeton is as good as mini pedal goes for the money

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

DongHua wrote:
Kris wrote:has anyone tried the valeton or xvive ditto clones? thinking about a cheap looper for writing at home
havnt tried one myself, but if valeton is as good as mini pedal goes for the money
Time to change that signature? :wink:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I have one of the xvives I bought off a forumite, it's pretty cool and I reckon better than the ditto I had. I am not using though, so if you want it it's available.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I have the XVive 'Tube Squasher' designed in USA by Thomas Blug but made in China.

It's a very good pedal, seems to be a little quieter than my TS and takes up very little real estate on my board. Built really well too, bought it based off an 8/10 review in Guitarist magazine a few months back. Can pick them up for $72 brand new on TradeMe so not gonna go too wrong for that kind of price :clap: