Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Volume pre-set pedal

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Is there a pedal out there that that allows you to switch between more than two volume settings? I use my guitar volume control a lot and switch between 3 or 4 settings:

1) full on [10 on the dial] - most of the time. Just, you know, full out.
2) slightly rolled off [7 or 8] - I use this with a lot of fuzz pedals as it reduces the woof factor
3) rolled off a lot [3] - I use this for my clean sound. My amp is always driving hard, but with the volume rolled right back I can get relatively clean.
4) all off [0]. Silencio. I actually usually stomp on my tuner for the kill switch, but sometimes use the volume knob.

I've just got a volume pedal (thanks Dan!) and it is awesome - I love having this control at my feet. Plus the taper on the pedal is a million times better than my guitars' controls, which tend to be pretty clumpy. But it can be a little tricky getting it in just the right spot. My VP has a min setting, so I thought I might set that for my clean sound, but finding the slightly rolled off point is still a trick.

So yeah, got me thinking whether someone has come up with a pedal that allows you to toggle through pre-set levels of volume cut. And google didn't give me an immediate and simple answer...

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Volume pre-set pedal

Post by StratMatt »

I know the Morley Little Alligator pedal, which is a Steve Vai signature volume has a minimum setting. Heel down for your rhythm or clean setting, and toe down for full noise.
Loving it so far

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

You could wire up a volume pot in an aluminum box with a DPDT switch and that would give you a preset (decrease) when engaged. Easy.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

robnobcorncob wrote:You could wire up a volume pot in an aluminum box with a DPDT switch and that would give you a preset (decrease) when engaged. Easy.
I was gonna say this but bear in mind everytime you add one in series you're placing more load on your pickups.
e.g if you have a Les Paul on the bridge pickup with a volume pedal AND a preset volume pedal, that's a potential of up to 1.5 Meg load on your pickup when you normally have 500k on it, can sometimes significantly change the sound (unless you're talking no-load pickups or ONly ever using one option eg just volume pedal or just preset or just guitar volume)
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Interesting. I was looking for an easy option, i.e. something I could buy. But if we're talking about the feasibility of such a thing...

Is a potentiometer the only way to cut volume? What is the volume pot actually doing? How does it decrease the signal? Could you do the same thing with switches rather than a pot?

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Im sure a resident sparky will correct me but: the volume pot adds resistance. 10 = minimum resistance, 0 = maximum resistance.

I would have thought that 3x true bypass switches would enable you to switch on/off 3 different pots with minimal added resistance.

/not a sparky
/have listened to endless lectures from a real sparky

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Well... my early 2000s Zoom multi-FX box has an effect level setting for each patch.

You can get similar things on TradeMe for about $70.

I suppose it would be simple enough on a similar gadget to have four patches that are blank except for the patch level and put the multi FX at the end of the line. YMMV.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Also definitely not a sparky but could you not use resistors instead of pots? Is a pot not a variable resistor?

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Have you tried an OD with the output down low and the gain off before the fuzz? Guitar stays on 10, when fuzz goes on, OD goes on too to cut the signal.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3489 times
Been liked: 714 times

Post by Cdog »

It's definitely doable. A buffer, a bit of logic switching, & some trimmers so you could set your own levels.
Actually might need a little more planning to work with fuzz pedals as the impedance of the guitar helps them sound the way they do

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 934 times

Post by Reg18 »

Cdog wrote:It's definitely doable. A buffer, a bit of logic switching, & some trimmers so you could set your own levels.
Actually might need a little more planning to work with fuzz pedals as the impedance of the guitar helps them sound the way they do
I was going to suggest something similar until I realised buffers can be funny with fuzz pedals.
I've had 2 pedals built for me to do this very thing in the past (no longer have them) one was a 2 button passive volume pedal. 2 foot switches one with just a passive volume knob and the other cut some bass acting as a treble booster type thing. Passive works just like your volume knob but it does loose some bottom
End etc.
the other was a pedal I called "Black Toast" which was a booster and buffer in one pedal, again 2 foot switches, 1 side boost and the other a buffer with a volume knob that was switchable. The builder questioned why I didn't just have the buffer as always on and forget about the foot switch but it was for this exact reason....a preset volume drop. Because it was a good quality buffer it kept the sound virtually the same when engaged no matter where the volume knob was set. A great solution but may not play nicely with fuzz.