Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

JHS pedals bring out 500 series versions

Post by jeremyb »

This is pretty interesting, I wonder if any of the other manufacturers will do this? not entirely sure of the point of the distortions etc, but the preamp perhaps....

http://vintageking.com/features/jhs-ped ... es-modules
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: JHS pedals bring out 500 series versions

Post by bender »

I've been scratching my head about that one. The preamp enters an already heavily saturated (pun intended) market of Neve 1073 clones, although not many have an EQ as well (it's not an emulation of the hugely desirable Neve EQ either) and is quite expensive in the scheme of things (not to mention that it takes up three slots!). The Pulp N Peel compressor/distortion/EQ actually has a mic preamp as well, so that could be quite awesome as a trashy mic preamp. I'm not convinced about the tremolo or modulation, but OD/distortion isn't a million miles away from the saturation or character buzzwords that seems to be prevalent in Gearslutz discussions.

I would have thought Eurorack modules would have made more sense (in that things like tremolo, delay and OD/distortion would be more immediately useful to synth nuts), but maybe it's a sign that people are using the 500 series gear in a different way. With a bit of luck it'll mean some cheaper chassis will start to appear.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 654 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I don't get it either .... Is would be easier to use a pedal or plug in for FX, and there are neve clones that are cheaper and use the proper transformers than the color box.

TGP idiots will buy the, though.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

bbrunskill wrote:
TGP idiots will buy the, though.
and thats 80% of the market!