Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: PRS SE 277

Post by Kris »

moliere wrote:I have the Mushok PRS SE Baritone, which is the same scale length, 27.7" but humbuckers. I love it (despite the sig). Sounds and plays great, build quality is awesome.
ha the same thing put me off when i played one-I just cant do sig guitars......

Gringo
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Gringo »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Yeah that sales guy needs a cock punch, there are certainly plenty of options in that price range but I wouldn't say better choices if you're not including specific requirements.

A well set up SE can be a good guitar, with a pickup swap, a great guitar.

This is spot on, I think the SEs are as good as anything else in that price bracket and with a decent setup and a pickup swap they can be excellent. I had a lovely SE semi that came alive once I upgraded the pickups. Plus, they look great.
+1 have owned many PRS's and I quite like the Tremonti SE I have now, grainy top and birds in flight. Might upgrade the pups at some point to something that coil splits though!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

sirvill wrote:Even the pickups are pretty good! When I had an SE Tremonti, the pickups sounded just fine.
I remember going to the RS in Lower Hutt when I was younger and trying a Tremonti SE up against a Zakk Wylde Epiphone. I could ring a pinch harmonic out of the Epi for love nor money, but the Tremonti was singing! I should have bought one of those instead of my Epi LP, but they were just a hair out of my price range at the time. :(
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

sirvill wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Essentially it's PRS making a 'Squier' version of their guitars and for that $$ you have so many other options that are potentially a better choice.
Geez... I dunno about that logic.
I reckon that logic is spot on. PRS SE are PRS guitars made under license by factories in Asia to a more affordable price point than the USA made PRS.

They are to PRS what Squier is to Fender and Epiphone is to Gibson.

Maybe PRS invest a little more in QC at their offshore Korean manufacturers than Fender do with their Squier builders in Indonesia, but thats reflected in the price.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

jimi wrote:
sirvill wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Essentially it's PRS making a 'Squier' version of their guitars and for that $$ you have so many other options that are potentially a better choice.
Geez... I dunno about that logic.
I reckon that logic is spot on. PRS SE are PRS guitars made under license by factories in Asia to a more affordable price point than the USA made PRS.

They are to PRS what Squier is to Fender and Epiphone is to Gibson.

Maybe PRS invest a little more in QC at their offshore Korean manufacturers than Fender do with their Squier builders in Indonesia, but thats reflected in the price.
I was more meaning the logic around the bang for your buck at that price point argument.

However, I'd say PRS SE is more like MIM Fender. And PRS SE Standard (which are made in Indonesia) are more like Squier.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Splitting Hairs...

But to be pedantic, and this is all assumption cos I can't be arsed googling to verify, but I think PRS SE is made in a korean factory that makes guitars for lots of manufacturers, and Fender Mexico is a plant owned and run by FMIC.

So you might be right in a value comparison, but really the PRS SE is a guitar made by outsourced Asian manufacturer, and a MIM Fender is a guitar made by Fender in Mexico. To me this classes a MIM Fender as a Fender and a PRS SE to be the PRS equivilient of a Squier. Or we could say a PRS equivilient of an Epiphone, since they probably used to churn out Epiphones from that same Korean factory.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

PRS SE are better than MIM Fenders!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

jeremyb wrote:PRS SE are better than MIM Fenders!
PRSs are always better than Fenders at all equivalent, and often higher, levels in the chain!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

jimi wrote:Splitting Hairs...

But to be pedantic, and this is all assumption cos I can't be arsed googling to verify, but I think PRS SE is made in a korean factory that makes guitars for lots of manufacturers, and Fender Mexico is a plant owned and run by FMIC.

So you might be right in a value comparison, but really the PRS SE is a guitar made by outsourced Asian manufacturer, and a MIM Fender is a guitar made by Fender in Mexico. To me this classes a MIM Fender as a Fender and a PRS SE to be the PRS equivilient of a Squier. Or we could say a PRS equivilient of an Epiphone, since they probably used to churn out Epiphones from that same Korean factory.
That's... that's not a bad point actually :D

Although yeah, it probably doesn't matter, just play the things :D

Gringo
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Gringo »

I'm losing track of all the PRS models. Seriously when I played them the choices were: CE (classic electric), CU (Custom) or Standard and choose the number of frets 22/24. Now they seem to have guitars for errrthang.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Conway wrote:
PRSs are always better than Fenders at all equivalent, and often higher, levels in the chain!
Wasn't JB's Cabronita a MIM? Thought that reviewed pretty favorably?

Never played a PRS SE myself.

You'd think someone would have brought one along to a gearfest, but I guess its a bit like showing up at the classic car club meet in a 80's Corolla. Or at a guitar forum meet up with an Edwards or an Epiphone.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

jimi wrote:
Conway wrote:
Wasn't JB's Cabronita a MIM? Thought that reviewed pretty favorably?

Never played a PRS SE myself.

You'd think someone would have brought one along to a gearfest, but I guess its a bit like showing up at the classic car club meet in a 80's Corolla. Or at a guitar forum meet up with an Edwards or an Epiphone.
I have turned up to many gearfests with an Epiphone. In a Toyota Corolla. [emoji14]

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

hamo wrote:I have turned up to many gearfests with an Epiphone. In a Toyota Corolla. [emoji14]
Next Gearfest I'm going to turn up with my '91 Mexican Strat and '94 Mazda Lantis :lol:

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

hamo wrote:
jimi wrote:Or at a guitar forum meet up with an Edwards or an Epiphone.
I have turned up to many gearfests with an Epiphone. In a Toyota Corolla. [emoji14]
Yeah me too, well with an Epiphone, in a Honda Accord, which is near enough. I think I need some lessons on less obvious trolling.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I have an SE Santana, damn good guitar :) Not much I'd change on it actually - probably has a long neck tenon too.

I have the mojo humbucker to go in to it, the one from my old Godin, but I've not got around to it yet. Might do that this weekend.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.