Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: NWTFOMGLOLJBPD HD500X Thread

Post by jeremyb »

Nice! He's using a Roland TD-4K (model from memory) works REALLY well, we used to turn down our tube amps and he would run that thru the PA for quieter practice, but much nicer having a mixed signal to hear everyone more clearly...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

shafter
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by shafter »

Having owned a few of these I think they are ok you have to work a little harder to dial in the right tone,
but overall ( for the $) they arent terrible. I did have the dream rig and that did make a difference.
Have you considered an Eleven Rack i've seen them for around $500 -$600 I currently have one
and they sound great a step up from the HD500X.
Stress... when you wake up screaming and realise you haven't been asleep yet!!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Pretty much making do with the HD until I can afford an AX8 or Helix, to be honest it's pretty darn good in most respects, just lacking a little in the cab sim department, but an external IR loader can fix that :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Another thing with a rack unit like the 11R is i'd need to spend at least that again on a floorboard to control it :(

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

I think you are on the right track JB. If you get a L2T and use line6 link you will get a good enough result from the HD500. You can then use the L2T with a Helix once you upgrade.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

opsguy wrote:I think you are on the right track JB. If you get a L2T and use line6 link you will get a good enough result from the HD500. You can then use the L2T with a Helix once you upgrade.
:thumbup:

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

jeremyb wrote:Another thing with a rack unit like the 11R is i'd need to spend at least that again on a floorboard to control it :(
I don't reckon that the 11R would be a good choice for you anyway. I rate the amp and cab sims, but the way the FX work is balls.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

bender wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Another thing with a rack unit like the 11R is i'd need to spend at least that again on a floorboard to control it :(
I don't reckon that the 11R would be a good choice for you anyway. I rate the amp and cab sims, but the way the FX work is balls.
Ahhhh cool, yeah I'm a special child, my main patch uses 3 delays and a reverb and not many units allow you to do things like that :)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

jeremyb wrote:
bender wrote:
Ahhhh cool, yeah I'm a special child, my main patch uses 3 delays and a reverb and not many units allow you to do things like that :)
It's OK for basic rigs, but not really for anything complex. It's really quite dumb actually- it has a single slot for distortion/OD/fuzz, a single slot for delay, a single slot for reverb and then two general FX slots that can load anything... except those other ones. TBH, I don't use any of the FX anyway, so it's not a drama, but I figured it would kind of ruin it for you.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Good to know, kinda what put me off the GT-100 too, only one slot for delay altho' you can run a double delay.. I like having the option of 8 of the same effect in the HD if I want it :mrgreen:

shafter
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by shafter »

Fair enough it would far better working towards a fractal unit, and I really had no problems with my HD500x
They are pretty cool, and your right about a floorboard they can be expensive.
I will defend the Eleven Rack though, I get some amazing tones from it (if you work at it)
but I will admit they are limited in content and support. Just my thoughts ?
Stress... when you wake up screaming and realise you haven't been asleep yet!!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

shafter wrote:Fair enough it would far better working towards a fractal unit, and I really had no problems with my HD500x
They are pretty cool, and your right about a floorboard they can be expensive.
I will defend the Eleven Rack though, I get some amazing tones from it (if you work at it)
but I will admit they are limited in content and support. Just my thoughts ?
All good man! :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Awesome band practice tonight, I'm really loving the HD500X / L2T combination for portability, instead of pedalboard case, cable case, head, and cab, I now can carry pedalboard case with power and data cable in it + L2T, sorted!

I've got some really great patches now which are sounding bloody good, must say I think it's finally in old analog rig territory in terms of happiness and toan factor, yay!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i also had a toan breakthrough at tonights jam-ran my fav pedal in a loop and used a hartke bass attack to eq it a little-then used the cabs on the helix.sounded great! gonna try something similar with guitar tomorrow and see how it fairs.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Kris wrote:i also had a toan breakthrough at tonights jam-ran my fav pedal in a loop and used a hartke bass attack to eq it a little-then used the cabs on the helix.sounded great! gonna try something similar with guitar tomorrow and see how it fairs.
Awesomeness! I'm noticing a trend in all the patches I really like is that theres a LOT of eq'ing going on, all about cutting thru eh!