hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Re: NWTFOMGLOLJBPD HD500X Thread

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:Still not happy with my dirt tone, not cutting through as well as I'd like, might need to work on some EQ'ing.... I'm also keen to try a FRFR setup...
I remember downloading some of Ross' patches and being shocked at how trebly they sounded on their own, but figured that was what was needed to get cut through with a huge drum/bass sound. Maybe you need to treble it up past what's intuitive? I dunno, I'm guessing here. :P
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7736 times
Been liked: 4180 times

Post by jeremyb »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
jeremyb wrote: Yarrrr I bet! Makes them really come alive, the HD500/X is let down by it's cab emulations, lots of people using separate IR loaders for recording etc... so going into an actual amp makes a lotta sense :)
Try going into a Line6 DT amp maybe? The reconfiguring of the power section to suit your modelling choices is actually pretty cool. The amp colours your tone more than a transparent amp of course, but then it offers many colours, not just one.
Mmmm had considered it, but I like the idea of a FRFR speaker, light and portable and I could use it for all sorts of other things too :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

The Electro Voice ZLX 12P seem to be among the best regarded budget FRFR options on the fractal forum if that's any help.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Eruera wrote:The Electro Voice ZLX 12P seem to be among the best regarded budget FRFR options on the fractal forum if that's any help.
Interesting, $899 here, not one I've come across yet! I've heard good things about the Alto TS112A & TS115A, even cheaper, ~$499 & 599 here, going to try out the L6 stagesource L2T soon too :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

That's good to know. I've got a cab with a Beta12CX installed + tweeter disabled. Sounds very much like an amp in the room. With the tweeter on it just sounds overly trebly and harsh. I don't have anything to compare it to at the moment though.

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
jeremyb wrote: Yarrrr I bet! Makes them really come alive, the HD500/X is let down by it's cab emulations, lots of people using separate IR loaders for recording etc... so going into an actual amp makes a lotta sense :)
Try going into a Line6 DT amp maybe? The reconfiguring of the power section to suit your modelling choices is actually pretty cool. The amp colours your tone more than a transparent amp of course, but then it offers many colours, not just one.
This is a good option. I used the HD500/DT amp setup for a couple of years. Line 6 link connection makes for simple setup and given the DT amp is a good amp just on its own if the hd500 breaks during a gig you have an easy backup.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Lunchbox?
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

stuu wrote:Lunchbox?
he's a big boy now...doesn't need a lunchbox
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

hamo wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Still not happy with my dirt tone, not cutting through as well as I'd like, might need to work on some EQ'ing.... I'm also keen to try a FRFR setup...
I remember downloading some of Ross' patches and being shocked at how trebly they sounded on their own, but figured that was what was needed to get cut through with a huge drum/bass sound. Maybe you need to treble it up past what's intuitive? I dunno, I'm guessing here. :P
It's a sound theory, my last guitar teacher had a H&K Switchblade, which was as sharp and trebley as the name would suggest (like being stabbed in the ears with a switchblade), but when he gigged it, it cut through amazingly well.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Wait... isn't your dirt tone just still your Ryan built amp?
You were happy with that amp before, so what has changed? I thought the HD500 was pretty much out of the circuit when on the dirt channel?

Just a thought, have you checked what the input impedance is set to on the HD500? I always found that anything below 1M altered the frequency response in a bad way.
Ummm....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote:
Might be onto something there!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

sopachrga wrote:

Wait... isn't your dirt tone just still your Ryan built amp?
You were happy with that amp before, so what has changed? I thought the HD500 was pretty much out of the circuit when on the dirt channel?

Just a thought, have you checked what the input impedance is set to on the HD500? I always found that anything below 1M altered the frequency response in a bad way.
Got the impedance at 1M, but it's probably to do with how I'm boosting the amp, using a cranked boost comp as I didn't like any of the od pedals, might have to revisit them :)

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

jeremyb wrote:but it's probably to do with how I'm boosting the amp, using a cranked boost comp
Sounds like a bad idea. The Jose type circuitry already has TONS of compression going on.

Try using a parametric or graphic EQ in the HD500 as a boost if you don't dig OD pedals.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Setup some patches last night with amps and cabs on them, sounded pretty good thru the headphones, then tonight we had practice thru an interface and into the PA, e-kit, the works, was pretty cool, much quieter than normal and we could all hear each other clearly, would trade again! And the HD sounded pretty darn good too!

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Thats a great result. We're looking at using a jamhub (w/ my helix, a vetta, and a bass flyrig) for writing. Just need half decent eDrums now. What kind is your drummer using?
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer