Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Re: Talk to me about fuzz

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

jeremyb wrote:
bender wrote:Update: I've tried a Fuzzrite and it was pretty excellent, but just a gnats too unpredictable. Currently trying a Karma Suture (apparently based on a Harmonic Percolator) and that seems pretty kick ass. I never would have tried it if Ryan hadn't suggested it, and was very sckeptical when I started trying it- especially because the controls seem daft. It's awesome though. It's versatile enough that it can basically be a boost or OD, or a really smooth fuzz. The Diodes control means that you can dial in how compressed and splatty it sounds and the density control takes it from bright (but not spitty) to thick and chewy. I really love it. It's not a Fuzzface, it's not a Muff, it's not a Bender (sadly)- it's its own thing.
Harmonic percolators are super cool, can be heard all over Steve Albini's playing in Big Black!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nahPA-RKEfQ[/youtube]
Yeah, Albini is really the poster boy for that thing, isn't he? I like the story behind them, even though I'm not totally convinced they are quite as unique and magical as they are made out to be... Does anyone know if the thing about 'even order harmonics only' is legit?

I was idly eyeing this clone on Reverb but it got snapped up very quickly...

https://reverb.com/item/1609360-therema ... fuzz-pedal

Might have to check out the Karma Suture instead!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

wtf is he on stilts?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1011 times

Post by bender »

Bg wrote:wtf is he on stilts?
My thoughts exactly...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

cool story tho bro :) and that sounded AWESOME :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hellblazer
Squier
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by hellblazer »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Yeah, Albini is really the poster boy for that thing, isn't he? I like the story behind them, even though I'm not totally convinced they are quite as unique and magical as they are made out to be... Does anyone know if the thing about 'even order harmonics only' is legit?
Have a gander

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkv3ygbyGOQ[/youtube]

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote:wtf is he on stilts?
He's such a dude he can do any kind of crazy shit he wants!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Yeah, Albini is really the poster boy for that thing, isn't he? I like the story behind them, even though I'm not totally convinced they are quite as unique and magical as they are made out to be... Does anyone know if the thing about 'even order harmonics only' is legit?
ISTR that the Harmonic Percolator builder was a strange person -- he stripped markings off EVERYTHING, resistors, caps, transistors, the LOT. There were more details, but can't recall 'em at the mo.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol