Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re-Amping

Post by Green Bastard »

Anyone do any re-amping when recording?
Got some new recording gear on the way and was keen to try it out.
sounds like a nice idea, take your time to record clean tracks at home using ampsims, then just pump them back out through your amp(s) and record the fat riffs while rocking out drinking a beer rather than having to actually play anything.

was looking at the radial prormp, but rockshop have them as POA, which I think means they don't have them in stock, I have sent them a message anyway to find out. but does anyone know of anywhere else that stocks radial, or any other products to try or issues with the prormp?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Re-Amping

Post by bender »

I've recently got into it and have been using one of these:

http://www.stlproaudio.co.nz/art-dual-r ... e-amp-box/

It's great.

I DI into my audio interface and send that same feed straight out one of the outputs (via the built in mixer so that there's no latency) and into the Re-Amp box so that I'm playing through my amp, and recording both a clean DI version and amped version through a mic.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Get a Kemper!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

I usually keep a clean DI track for reamping but I'd still play a real amp when laying down the takes to keep the CPU consumption down.

I find reamping quite useful as the amp settings that sound good in a room sometimes translate horribly to a mix. Keeping a clean DI track means that you can always go back to it in case you need to tweak the amp setting to fit better into the mix.

There are some sellers on ebay that can ship Radial products internationally, postage ain't too bad. However I wouldn't order internationally during December...

I use a Radial JCR myself.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Some of the later Line 6 gear also supports a direct out and an 'amped' signal. I think the Laney IronHeart studio amp does too.

Reamping is a very useful feature for when you realise that you should have turned the reverb off because it sounded great in the room, at the time, but it is muddying up your whole recording and now you need to redo all the guitar parts. He said...bitterly...

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender

Post by Green Bastard »

saw those ART ones on TM, wasnt sure how they stacked up against the Radial as some people I know had poor experiences with some other ART stuff and they dont quite look as solid in the pics as the Radial gear, does it all feel pretty sturdy?

mostly just looking to use it to get a bit more experience with recording amps without concentrating on playing at the same time, I'm only doing rough recordings myself, so not looking for immediate great results.
Conway wrote:Get a Kemper!
Would be nice, but would hardly ever get any use, I'm still very much an amp man and have enough OD's and Heads to keep me busy.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 655 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

ART DI's are best described as 'functional' they are a bit flimsy and I've seen them with the buttons pushed in and jacks loose. But they work and sound reasonable. If you can afford a Radial, do so and you won't regret it.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender

Post by Green Bastard »

cool, cheers for the info. The ART seems to have more functions, but im not sure i'd need it all (at this stage). only really need a single output set up which I could run into my ABY if need be for multiple amps, the radial prormp is about the same price from overseas as the ART locally, so the only diff is postage on top, but will have a better look for the radial's locally first.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 655 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I think amber is the distro? RS might not have them in stock but worth a call to find if there is stock somewhere in nz

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

my 2c(and mark will probably back me up as we had similar experiences).The art "worked" but seemed like it was never really getting enough level to drive the amp properly.There was a very thin sounding dirt or fuckin ocean noises with squeeling pig murder feedback. For me the principal was great but i just went back to using DI clean takes as sticking plasters for patch ups via VST later on.
ben-do you record much in the way of high gain/aggressive distrortions? could be why our experiences seem polar opposite.And the fact that you a proffessional and im just a caveman may have something to do with it too....
The helix can reamp as well but other than the real time tweaking i dont see much point ...might have a go at it tomorrow and report back

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Out producer had a radial reamp unit and did our entire EP with it.
I bought the art unit off Kris to try it out. We did an AB recording with it and the radial. We were unable to tell the difference. What we did discover, is that the interface you are using to pump the signal back out at the right level made the biggest difference.

I tried using my old focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and it never sounded good. But I upgraded to a Apogee Duet and it fixed the issues I had with the sound.
Ummm....

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Given that the radial is only a couple of hundred anyway. I'd still play it safe and get that.
Ummm....

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I've had no trouble at all with the Art one. It sounds identical to the ProCo one I tried at the same time. I had no trouble whatsoever level matching to the signal going straight into the amp and no extraneous noises. Functionally, the only difference between the Art one and a Radial (as in feature set) is that the Art one is two channel. I don't think it does anything at all that the Radial one doesn't. It's not the most robust unit out there, but I wouldn't call it flimsy.