hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Pedal-links

Post by hamo »

Came across this, they're giving them away with subscriptions to Premiere Guitar. What do guys think? Would it work for you, or will you stick with velcro?

http://www.pedalboardsupplies.com/home.html
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: Pedal-links

Post by jeremyb »

Bugger that, fixing a problem that doesn't exist, and makes it way harder to modify your pedalboard... I could just see it in a gig situation if you had a faulty pedal and needed to rip it off the board to patch around it or something and you have to pull out a screwdriver... painful!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

I used to have something similar holding my board together back in the day in an old band that toured regularly. Bulletproof. Would recommend.

Way better than Velcro, especially in summer.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I've mentioned this before, but a well known trick is to use bike chain links. Exactly the same thing. Velcro doesn't really last the test of time and powergrip is awesome but expensive (and even that stuff can be kicked off).
jeremyb wrote:makes it way harder to modify your pedalboard...
It's a pain if you are changing stuff all the time, but as for me I usually stick with certain combinations for quite a while. The layout of my board means that I can still unplug the patch cables without needing to move the pedals, so if anything were to happen I could just put in a spare cable. I think if you use these links you need to take that into consideration. So far I haven't had any issues and the board is solid as.

Just added a cute carry handle to my board. Woo. The bike links are on the top corners of the mini pedals and on the side of the tech 21.
Last edited by Zaulkin on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Zaulkin wrote:I've mentioned this before, but a well known trick is to use bike chain links. Exactly the same thing. Velcro doesn't really last the test of time and powergrip is awesome but expensive (and even that stuff can be kicked off).
jeremyb wrote:makes it way harder to modify your pedalboard...
It's a pain if you are changing stuff all the time, but as for me I usually stick with certain combinations for quite a while. The layout of my board means that I can still unplug the patch cables without needing to move the pedals, so if anything were to happen I could just put in a spare cable. I think if you use these links you need to take that into consideration. So far I haven't had any issues and the board is solid as.

Just added a cute carry handle to my board. Woo. The bike links are on the top corners of the mini pedals and on the side of the tech 21.

Bike Chain links???? WTF???? please explain?
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

My pedals are stacked so tightly that I can't unplug anything without lifting a pedal, means I have a nice compact board (PT-1) with 11 odd pedals on it :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Les_Paul86 wrote:Bike Chain links???? WTF???? please explain?

I went to a bike shop and they gave me a broken bike chain. Cleaned it up, popped the links off and voila - a bunch of links exactly like the product mentioned in the original post.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

jeremyb wrote:My pedals are stacked so tightly that I can't unplug anything without lifting a pedal, means I have a nice compact board (PT-1) with 11 odd pedals on it :)
Just get an AX-8. Then attach that using bike links.

:D

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Sorry, I didn't read the original post properly, that makes perfect sense.

I would still use velcro though lol
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Zaulkin wrote:
jeremyb wrote:My pedals are stacked so tightly that I can't unplug anything without lifting a pedal, means I have a nice compact board (PT-1) with 11 odd pedals on it :)
Just get an AX-8. Then attach that using bike links.

:D
That contains the digitals doesn't it? it's against my religion, I can only worship analogs :)

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I actually used these on my old wooden pedalboard - was awesome with a wooden board. Bought some off ebay like 12 years ago.

They were great! But:

1) Hard to quickly change stuff

2) Need pedals which have screws with enough thread to accomodate the link. So pedals with recessed screwes (TC Electronic etc) it didn't work with

3) Need pedals with screws near the four corners (some pedals have them further in, or not at all)

4) Need pedals with clearance around the edges.

So it works a treat with Boss/metal Ibanez style pedals, but pain in the ass with TC Electronic, Danelectro, wah pedal etc which don't have corner screws with long threads.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I never got on overly well with velcro. My board is just a homemade wooden job (It's basically a bamboo chopping board I bought from Stevens haha), I've ended up using some anti-slip things from one of the $2 shops in the malls. They look kind of like a flannel, $2 gets you 6 of them and I only need 4 to cover my board.

They work brilliantly, and you don't have to stick them onto your board either. Not sure how they would go on non-wooden boards though :?:

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Those kits look suspiciously like bike chain links. As Zaulkin has suggested already they are a great way to consolidate your board, provided you like it set permanently. Your local bike shop will sell you a chain and a tool for popping the links apart ( which if it's like the one I bought will fall apart well before you've taken apart a whole chain ). Once you are equipped with the links and a bag of screws your board can just be a piece of ply of whatever shape and size you require. Cheaper than the ubiquitous pedaltrain too.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I've had one these chain breakers since my motorbike mechanic days, does kind of fit bicycle chain but it's indestructible. Other thing to do is grind the ends of the pins & punch the side plates off.

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus