BB distortion but with passive tone controlls?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dylan
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

BB distortion but with passive tone controlls?

Post by dylan »

I really like the quality of the xotic BB distortion, but i prefer passive tone controls to active.

Can anybody suggest a pedal that has BB sounding distortion and passive bass/treble knobs?

Would a timmy be the closest thing?
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Re: BB distortion but with passive tone controlls?

Post by Miza »

Haven't had any experience with a BB, but I had a Timmy for a while and was always really impressed with the tone controls. They're cut knobs, so they cut the treble and bass, rather than add it. Also, the bass is added after the gain circuit (I think), which helps it not sound flabby/muddy.
In terms of the gain, it doesn't colour your sound, just adds more of what you've got.
I really rate them.
Nothing to see here.

dylan
Gibson

Post by dylan »

After some searching of the interwebs it seems that the BB is a tubescreamer with an extra gain stage and no mid hump, and the timmy is not tubescreamery at all.

So what i want is a tubescreamer with no mid hump and with passive treble / bass knobs. Can anybody suggest one?
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Tubescreamer with no mid hump? Feel like it's not even helpful to describe it as a tubescreamer anymore lol

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

The Cusack Screamer is a pretty nice TS -type pedal without the mid hump, but just has a standard tone control.
Nothing to see here.

dylan
Gibson

Post by dylan »

Im starting to think what i actually want is a normal tubescreamer. I want a pedal that will turn rock levels of amp distortion into high gain for widdling, and boosts the fundamental frequencies of notes in the top octave. The 720hz hump of the ts seems just right for beefing up the fundamental of the high notes.

Ive gone right around in a circle back to the first stomp box i ever bought lol...

So now im looking for a tubescreamer with the mid hump but passive tone control.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Fulltone Full Drive 3?

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

dylan wrote:Im starting to think what i actually want is a normal tubescreamer. I want a pedal that will turn rock levels of amp distortion into high gain for widdling, and boosts the fundamental frequencies of notes in the top octave. The 720hz hump of the ts seems just right for beefing up the fundamental of the high notes.
If your amp simply doesn't have enough gain, a standard TS won't help much since it doesn't have that much output volume to push the amp hard enough. A lot of metal guys use standard TS mainly for tightening up the low end of their already hi gain amp instead of using it for adding gain. You probably want to look into one of the TS variations with more output, Maxon OD808X etc.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

dylan
Gibson

Post by dylan »

Thanks for the sugestions, looks like a Caline CrazyCacti (FD2 clone) might be my next pedal purchase...

At the moment, out of Hotcake, BB , TS, Sweet baby, and Rat, the Rat (with added bass mod) is my favorite.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

dylan wrote:After some searching of the interwebs it seems that the BB is a tubescreamer with an extra gain stage and no mid hump, and the timmy is not tubescreamery at all.

So what i want is a tubescreamer with no mid hump and with passive treble / bass knobs. Can anybody suggest one?
Way Huge Green Rhino
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Miza wrote:Haven't had any experience with a BB, but I had a Timmy for a while and was always really impressed with the tone controls. They're cut knobs, so they cut the treble and bass, rather than add it. Also, the bass is added after the gain circuit (I think), which helps it not sound flabby/muddy.
In terms of the gain, it doesn't colour your sound, just adds more of what you've got.
I really rate them.
Nah, it's pre gain which why you have to crank up the gain if you've backed all the way off the bass knob.

I should know, I just stole it :lol:
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

dylan wrote:After some searching of the interwebs it seems that the BB is a tubescreamer with an extra gain stage and no mid hump, and the timmy is not tubescreamery at all.

I'm actually just in the final stages of creating this!
It's called the Bronson, and it sounds awesome.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

dylan
Gibson

Post by dylan »

I think what i will do is start with a joyo TS clone, disable the tone circuit, then mod the bass / treble to how i want.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

dylan wrote:I think what i will do is start with a joyo TS clone, disable the tone circuit, then mod the bass / treble to how i want.
If you're going that way, take a look at how a Timmy does its bass roll off; it's pretty straight forward.