Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Multifx...wherefore art thou?

Post by Kloppsta »

I have searched high and low and come up fruitless in my search for a multi fx unit.

Yes I know there is the new Helix, the GT100, the FX8 and even the Line 6 M series but none of them seem to tick all the boxes that I need!

It’s strange because my needs/desires are actually very simple. I would have thought I would be among the masses wanting the same thing, but it seems I am actually quite unique! Haha

All I want is a multi fx unit that replicates / replaces my pedalboard which in and of itself is not too complex I think?

Do need
- I will be running directly into the front of my amp (no 4CM nonsense or fx loop business)
- Reverb & Delay are taken care of by other pedals running in the fx loop of my amp
- I want to be able to run all (below) effects simultaneously if the desire strikes
- I want to switch each effect on and off, just like a pedalboard
- I want DSP bypass (i.e. the effects trails naturally decay after the effect is switched off)
- I would prefer a built in expression pedal (although not a deal breaker as I can use an external one if needed)
- An easy UI would be nice! I would prefer not to be menu diving all day. Quick tweaks on the fly with dedicated knobs/switches would be ideal
- A decent software editor would be the icing on the cake but not a necessity

Dont need
- I don’t need amp, cab or mic modelling
- I don’t need the unit to be a USB recording / reamping interface etc.
- I don’t want to spend FX8 / Helix kind of money for features I don’t need and won’t use
- I don’t want to compromise too much on quality (tone wise and hardware wise – i.e. Line 6 M series with is dodgy as foot switches and very sub-par dirt pedal algo’s)
- I don’t need external loop switching, patch changes or MIDI implementation etc.
- I don’t need a built in looper or tuner

The pedalboard I am trying to replicate is:

(Guitar) - Volume > Wah > OD > Fuzz > Comp > Whammy > Octave Down > Phaser > Univibe – (Amp)

I am starting to feel like such a product simply does not exist! I know there is the FX8 which ticks all of these boxes and more, but I don’t want to spend that much. Budget is + or - $1000.

For all you gear junkies and retail pro’s in the know, I would LOVE to hear from you if you know of a suitable candidate?! Cheers! :)
Little by little, by hook or by crook

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: Multifx...wherefore art thou?

Post by H671 »

Why not check out some of the Zoom range, I use an older model Zoom GFX-5 and a G2.1u.
The Zoom G7.1, G9.2 and later have the ability to switch off some of the modules and I think that the latest
models G3 & G5 allow you to change the order of the effects. These all have dual purpose volume/whammy pedals.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

I think you should buy back all the individual pedals you sold, or the axefx's you sold LOL ;)

Do you have a decent(ish) laptop? something like bias effects on that with a usb midi controller? multifx unit OD's and fuzzes are always a weakness tho' IMHO.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 655 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Have you had a look at the TC Electronic G system or even the smaller one, Nova System. Does almost everything on your list. No Fuzz though.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

bbrunskill wrote:Have you had a look at the TC Electronic G system or even the smaller one, Nova System. Does almost everything on your list. No Fuzz though.
That's what I was going to suggest, based purely on what Lawrence gets out of his. No wah/whammy pedal though.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

H671 wrote:Why not check out some of the Zoom range, I use an older model Zoom GFX-5 and a G2.1u.
The Zoom G7.1, G9.2 and later have the ability to switch off some of the modules and I think that the latest
models G3 & G5 allow you to change the order of the effects. These all have dual purpose volume/whammy pedals.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have looked at the Zoom G series but felt again its primary focus was the amp modelling side of things and the effects came in second. I wasn't too impressed (i know, hard to judge based on video demos) with the effects quality. Also not enough foot switches to replicate the pedals i had on my board. (i know you can change banks) i am after a unit that has enough foot switches to replicate the signal chain (in my OP) with 1 effect per foot switch. I dont care for scrolling through banks etc.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

jeremyb wrote:I think you should buy back all the individual pedals you sold, or the axefx's you sold LOL ;)

Do you have a decent(ish) laptop? something like bias effects on that with a usb midi controller? multifx unit OD's and fuzzes are always a weakness tho' IMHO.
Dont tempt me. ;-) nah, im done with the axe fx and modelers for now.

I had considered a laptop/BIAS setup but too many extra cables and dont want to have to rely on a laptop etc. plus, i dont have a decent enough laptop anyway.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

bbrunskill wrote:Have you had a look at the TC Electronic G system or even the smaller one, Nova System. Does almost everything on your list. No Fuzz though.
thanks for the suggestion. i have checked the TC stuff out. as hamo pointed out, no wah/whammy on the Nova system.
the g-system is just a bit too big and bulky for my taste. also, its getting a bit long in the tooth now. not a fan of the TC user interface either, its overly complex in my limited experience. not sure that Wah, OD, Fuzz and Comp are strong points for it either?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Boss GT100 would be your best bet, wouldn't it? $899 new.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

To be honest, I don't see why the GT100 won't do what you need.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

Conway wrote:Boss GT100 would be your best bet, wouldn't it? $899 new.
i had hoped so! but alas, doesn’t fit the bill from what i can tell. It gets about 90% of the way there.

For some reason, Boss decided that they would give you 8 effect slots (perfect!) but some of them are dedicated to certain effects (i.e. Reverb, Delay, Chorus). All of which I don’t need and Boss won’t allow you to change those slots to another effect type.
So you can’t change the chorus effect slot to a pitch shift effect if that makes sense. To assign other effects they only give you FX1 and FX2 slots. So essentially I would have to find a way (not sure it’s even possible) to squeeze Volume, Wah, OD, Fuzz, Comp, Whammy, Octave, Phaser and Vibe out of like 4 or 5 effect blocks and wouldn’t be using the dedicated reverb, delay, chorus etc. effect blocks. So it’s almost like buying a BMW M3 and putting space saver tyres on it. Its capable of so much more but I would be handicapping it but cutting its legs off.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

NZRS_Matt wrote:To be honest, I don't see why the GT100 won't do what you need.
Matt, as above (in my reply to Conway) i may very well have misunderstood how the GT100 works.
could i in fact assign each of the 8 foot switches to the following effects?

Expression pedal = Wah
FS1 = OD
FS2 = Fuzz
FS3 = Comp
FS4 = Whammy (to engage + disengage and expression pedal controls the effect)
FS5 = Octave down (i.e. Boss OC2 style)
FS6 = Phaser
FS7 = Vibe
FS8 = Tuner or spare?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

I assume you've checked out the HD500X?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2487 times

Post by Slowy »

Kloppsta wrote:
See, there's your problem right there.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

slowfingers wrote:
Kloppsta wrote:
See, there's your problem right there.
Isnt that what multifx units are for? :? :)