Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

To sell or not to sell?

Post by bender »

I've spent the last few weeks doing a bit of gear soul-searching and am seriously considering a bit of a major revamp. I'm pretty happy with my amps, particularly the (previously for sale) surf green Tremolux, but my guitars have left me scratching my head a little. I currently have:

Robin Savoy Standard (currently with Bareknuckle Mule pickups):

Cole Clark Culprit Tele:

Gretsch 5620:

All three are great guitars, but I can't help but wonder if I should replace the Robin and Gretsch with one really nice old Gretsch (probably a Tenesseean) or even a 330. The Robin is wonderful, but I prefer the sound of the other two and have to make an effort to choose it when I pick up a guitar, which is daft because it's easily the best of the three. I just find the other two are more me. The Cole Clark is pretty damn close to my perfect tele (although I do miss my old Radian), and the Gretsch is all class, but doesn't have the same x-factor that the old Gretsch I borrowed from Opsguy earlier in the year. I made a promise that if I ever sell that particular Robin, it would be to get something equally special and heirloomable.
The other (far simpler) option would be to replace the pickups on the Robin with something brighter and twangier, like maybe a pair of Lollartrons or some Throbacks.

Dither, dither, Sooty, regRhett etc.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: To sell or not to sell?

Post by sirvill »

I love this part:
which is daft because it's easily the best of the three.

I know exactly what you mean... its a perfect example of how just because its more expensive, better made, has better reviews, is more well regarded, etc, doesn't mean it is actually better for you.

I don't have any answers unfortunately... its a real tricky pickle.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Buy an 8 string ibanez and an axe-fx instead, you can thank me later!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Given all that's come and gone, I'm surprised that you'd consider selling that Robin. But I can understand the motivation sure enough.

If you're buying old Gretsch I am happy to offer assistance - not all Gretsch are what they seem. I have some old ones you can play to get a feel.

Old 330's used to be the sleeper Gibson hollow body. Now they have been fully realised unfortunately.

Good luck with the search.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Given all that's come and gone, I'm surprised that you'd consider selling that Robin. But I can understand the motivation sure enough.
Totally agree here.
Why don't you go with your idea of changing pickups first?

I'd be first on the list to buy those Mules off you if they didn't pass muster against the newcomers
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Ben, that Robin is your signature guitar, don't ever sell it. Change the pickups if you want a change.

Your old Radian is now with Opsguy, by the way. I passed it on to him after getting my James Trussart.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

You only have 3 guitars? The solution is clearly to not sell and buy more.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

jimi wrote:You only have 3 guitars? The solution is clearly to not sell and buy more.
Ah, yes. This is the correct answer!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

jimi wrote:You only have 3 guitars? The solution is clearly to not sell and buy more.
Love this.
Loving it so far

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Conway wrote: Your old Radian is now with Opsguy, by the way. I passed it on to him after getting my James Trussart.
Ha! Now that's funny. I blame him for this whole situation.

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

benderissimo wrote:
Conway wrote: Your old Radian is now with Opsguy, by the way. I passed it on to him after getting my James Trussart.
Ha! Now that's funny. I blame him for this whole situation.

yep - I take full responsibility!!! :lol:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Given all that's come and gone, I'm surprised that you'd consider selling that Robin. But I can understand the motivation sure enough.
This is true. I've had it for 8 years, which is about 7 years longer than any other guitar since. It's outclassed every Gibson-style guitar I've had, even the other Robin with the mother of all necks (I miss that neck). I'd certainly choose it over any modern Gibson or PRS or the like... pretty much anything modern with humbuckers actually.

Gretsches and Teles just float my boat more.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Sounds like you're just not a humbucker guy any more by that.
Might as well put the money into amazing single coil or Gretsch, and keep a reasonable but cheaper humbucker gat around
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I do this sometimes. I go into my office and look around and find myself thinking that one particular guitar is kind of covered elsewhere so maybe I should free-up the money for something else. Or I'll fixate upon one small aspect of a particular guitar and I KNOW it'll be the reason I'll sell it. For example, the inlays in my Tokai Les Paul are just a bit too bright for me. That's it. Just the inlays. Not quite dark enough. And for that reason alone I'll search-out a replacement.

Talking to Danny via email about this last night. I think if you don't gravitate towards an absolutely wonderful example of something or other you'll forever be dissatisfied. I'm in the market for a Tele at the moment but I want a FANTASTIC Tele. I want a top-end Custom Shop, good-as-it-gets and hope it'll be a keeper. Constantly changing gear will always leave you worse off. Might only be fifty dollars here or there but it adds up. Anyway, my advice is sell all your guitars and buy THE ONE. Just my 2c.

I may need reminding to follow this advice myself.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

TmcB wrote:Sounds like you're just not a humbucker guy any more by that.
Might as well put the money into amazing single coil or Gretsch, and keep a reasonable but cheaper humbucker gat around
Yeah, this is pretty much what I'm thinking. I think that trying new pickups would be a wise plan first though. It'd need to be a known quantity though, so I should probably look for some more Zhangbuckers as they were brilliant in my other Robin.

I may end up doing absolutely nothing about it either way of course...