mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Tremol-No

Post by mr_sooty »

Decided I would give one of these a try. I like tremolos, but I like 'dive only', for various reasons. Dive-only fixes a bunch of issues tremolo's cause, mainly going out of tune slightly when you drop D or when you break a string, meaning you can't just get to the end of the song before grabbing your 'backup'. On my Strat I set the tremolo hard against the body, and it works pretty well. I really like the old Jazzmaster and Jaguar tremolo system how you can set them for dive-only.

The Reverend Double Agent I just got (which I'm still absolutely gushing over) has a Wilkinson Trem, slightly different to a Strat, and I wasn't sure setting it against the body would work so well, so I decided to give the 'Tremol-No' a go. Got it from Guitar Parts (who are amazing and great to deal with grovel grovel grovel....) and I gotta say, it works perfectly. I have taken out two of the screws as I don't need to 'lock' it, just stop it from going upwards, but you can use this to fix the trem in place too if you don't use it at all.

I read some reviews that said the black 'screws' protruded from the back of the guitar and meant you couldn't put the back-plate back on, but I haven't had that problem, it's sweet as. Back plate went back on fine. Works great, easy to install, brilliant.
Tremol-No (500x375).jpg
Last edited by mr_sooty on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Tremol-No

Post by mr_sooty »

With this, the pin lok tuners, and the graphite nut, I can do full Floyd Rose style dives, till the strings are flopping around, and it will return to pitch perfectly.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I've got one on my JS1000, really handy actually. Got mine setup for dive only too, like to be able to go drop d when needed and can still get some good squeals going. I never had much room for raising the pitch anyway so not missing out on much.
Loving it so far

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 653 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

So this locks it hard against the body but still lets you use the trem to lower notes? Sweet!

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Yep. The black screw thing is on a block that slides back and forth, so the trem won't go past that block. The two extra holes normally have black screws in them too, which if you screw down locks the whole thing in place for no movement at all. I won't be using that feature so I just took them out. This thing actually works way better than I expected it to!

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Obviously you can also undo all the screws and it will do everything it did without the system, so if you only want to lock it sometimes you can just leave the back plate off and adjust as necessary. The screws are really short though so if you undo them too far they come out, I'd be worried about losing them if I was using them all the time. That's why I set mine how it is and put the plate back on.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

had one for awhile and the pin broke, no joy in getting it replaced by the dealer so just set up my trem properly instead. Handy if a string breaks mid song.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Bg wrote:had one for awhile and the pin broke, no joy in getting it replaced by the dealer so just set up my trem properly instead. Handy if a string breaks mid song.
Lame, that would suck. Hopefully that doesn't happen!

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

They have clamp versions, which would avoid pin breakage issues, but then you have the small matter of making sure you get the right size.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

mr_sooty wrote:
Bg wrote:had one for awhile and the pin broke, no joy in getting it replaced by the dealer so just set up my trem properly instead. Handy if a string breaks mid song.
Lame, that would suck. Hopefully that doesn't happen!
Think it was the trem I was fixing it too that caused it. Don't remember now other than I would have to buy a whole new one to get a replacement pin! Good idea they are but left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. ib;jb
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Yeah I can see how that would piss you off. I was having a look today and I can totally see the potential for that pin to break... Mine even bent today when I was setting it up. Incidentally... Did you use the 'spacers'? I didn't at first, but then I found them and used the 1mm spacer under the bit with the pin, which makes for a much more solid connection.... Less movement hopefully means less likelihood of breakage.

Oh by the way.... This guitar.... Did I mention it? I remember that black ex Rhett DA3 doing the rounds on the forum, obviously no one really gelled with it, but for me, it seems perfect. Like the most excited I've ever been about a guitar. Just goes to show we all have different tastes and requirements!

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

mr_sooty wrote:I remember that black ex Rhett DA3 doing the rounds on the forum, obviously no one really gelled with it
It only went from Rhett to me, then I sold it on trademe. It's not that I didn't like it - it was actually a very nice guitar - I was just Mollying.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 653 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Sooty my lad, what kind of money are we talking for one of these tremolno doohickeys?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

bbrunskill wrote:Sooty my lad, what kind of money are we talking for one of these tremolno doohickeys?
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/bridges-ta ... ol-no.html

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

:mental: