jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Line6 Heeeeeelix!

Post by jeremyb »

stuu wrote:
jeremyb wrote:It's good to know the stock presets are good on the helix, the ones on the HD series are unusable garbage!
That's one way to read it (and actually the way i meant it), another might be that there are a lot of horrific rigs out in the wild :mrgreen:
:lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

I've started using paid IR's.

Amazing. Learning how to EQ them makes all the difference
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Got any tips? the IR loader I'm getting has an EQ as well for tweakage :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

jeremyb wrote:Got any tips?
Be good to your mother.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

jeremyb wrote:Got any tips? the IR loader I'm getting has an EQ as well for tweakage :)
On the helix - I cut the High down to around 5.5k - 7k hz
and the low up to 80-100hz

I'd suggest scrolling through them with no EQ - pick what sounds the best. THEN eq it.
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

I tend to do that in the global EQ, but that's because i was arbitrarily told to do it there

What benefit have you found doing it in the IR instead?
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

stuu wrote:I tend to do that in the global EQ, but that's because i was arbitrarily told to do it there

What benefit have you found doing it in the IR instead?
global is good for overall send to the desk

if you cut too much off your global you'll loose heaps from things like particle verbs and drives.

my Global is set to 80hz low cut and 12khz high cut

cabs however are as i mentioned above - so they respond how an actual cab mic'd would.

it gives the effects, verbs and drives a chance to actually bloom/do their job and doesn't give you an overall boxy sound.

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

SimpleSi wrote:if you cut too much off your global you'll loose heaps from things like particle verbs and drives.

my Global is set to 80hz low cut and 12khz high cut

cabs however are as i mentioned above - so they respond how an actual cab mic'd would.

it gives the effects, verbs and drives a chance to actually bloom/do their job and doesn't give you an overall boxy sound.
Good point, i hadn't thought of it like that. I don't typically use a lot of reverbs but makes sense even on a best practice patch-hygiene level.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Very nervous to post in this thread... JK

We should send around presets and see what every is up to?! Very new to my unit so could use all the help I can get.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

ive had mine since early Jan and still keep my patches VERY simple. Most complex thing i do now is splitting off a separate path the the 1/4' outs without the cab/IR so i have patches versatile enough to run into backline FX returns when needed.

This means i have to keep delays/verbs before the cab/IR... but that's no real drama.

I think i got that trick from Si actually, who does it to introduce another amp direct to FOH. Different application, same trick. GOOD TRICK.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

I'm mainly interested in getting good core amp and drive tones. Everything is sounding pretty digital to me at the moment ...
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

Don't monitor from the headphone output. Such a huge difference, it's awful and IMO the only let down of the device.

Hopefully this gets dealt to now that snapshots and editor are off the backlog

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

stuu wrote:Don't monitor from the headphone output. Such a huge difference, it's awful and IMO the only let down of the device.

Hopefully this gets dealt to now that snapshots and editor are off the backlog
Oh really? The headphone out isn't as good?

I am monitoring with high quality custom IEMs but through the headphone out. Looking forward to plugging it into FOH for some tweaking
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I read this thing from a line 6 guy the other day, basically you need really decent headphones to get a great sound out of it...
Yep, and high-impedance headphones behave almost in the opposite way, as laptop headphone amps typically can't drive them properly.Correct, but that's independent of the amplifier inside. We could've designed the headphone amp to accommodate Apple earbuds (free with phone) or Sennheiser HD600s ($300), and we erred on the side of pro. Some manufacturers try to find a happy medium, but since Helix can process multiple band members simultaneously, we wanted the headphone out to be able to drive multiple pairs of cans with a splitter.

To make laptops and smartphones more and more battery-efficient, consumer headphone amps get wimpier and wimpier, requiring headphone manufacturers to make lower and lower-impedance cans to hear music loud enough. Fifteen years ago all headphones would've probably sounded great through Helix.

That's not to say that your AT headphones' impedance is definitely the culprit, but it's worth checking out another pair or two.

FWIW, the Apple EarPods (45 Ohm) I have here in the office sound marginally passable from my MacBook Pro and TERRIBLE through Helix. The Sennheiser HD280 Pros (64 Ohm) sound m'eh from the laptop and clean/decent through Helix, though they're voiced a bit boxy for my tastes. The Senneheiser HD600s (300 Ohm) at home sound good through the laptop and absolutely stellar through Helix.

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

There's some reasoning behind it that I can't remember, but run your IEMs of the main 1/4 or XLR outs.

There were 30odd pages of bitching about it in the TGP megathread before everyone piled onto the pre 2.0 tuner granularity.