SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Re: What are your favourite pedals?

Post by SimonHirst »

I liked the Bluesberry mode on the more modern ones, but it still didn't beat out the mid-switch one. There is something great going on in that circuit. LP > Hotcake > AC30 = my happy guitar place.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

I had a 2 knob Hotcake, but it got nicked when my car got broken into, can't remember if the 2 knob was better, was more than 10yrs ago now.. Had a 3 knob after that which was great, and now have a DHC.

Sounds great into the JCM2000. Its good into the Bellbird, but not the same magic pixie dust toan as when it goes into the Marshall.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

If I was buying pedals for you, they'd be quite different from what I'd buy.

I reckon you should look for:
Highish gain OD so, SD1 or better still OCD style. (EHX glove, Mooer Hustle Drive, Eno or Blaxx clone etc)
A boost. EhX LPB1, Toany Built SHO
Chorus ish pedal. I like EHX style but obvs the boring option is Boss ;-) whilst it doesn't sound amazing the Rotovibe is fun and you'll dig the Cantrell vibe...
Reverb. If you want to spend a bunch of silly money there's lots of nice reverbs out there. If you realise that as soon as there's a bit of gain and you're not looking for 24b studio quality there's a few good options out there. I really like EHX style verb. It's not pristine, but it has a cool character. For you I'd also suggest keeping a very keen eye out for the Digitech digiverb. Horribly underrated, but great sounding, and a few cool settings to make fun noises with.
Delay! You could spend a lot. Ultimately, I get the distinct impression that you couldn't give a Fuxk about the cork sniffing nuances of a delay pedal. Respect! Analogue delays are warm and muddy sounding, they self oscillate, have very limited delay time and without spending big boy money, they aren't tap friendly. If I was you, if keep an eye out for a digitech digidelay. 7 different modes, great sounding, super cheap and could put up with many baby fluids being spilt into it. I had one for 7 years, but only got did of it as I needed tap.
Wah! Vox! Get a Vox! Or whichever comes up at the right money. They often suck tone, can be worth getting modded for true bypass.

With your bsiab and compressor, you're pretty set for rock and metal tones already.

Always happy to give you an aggressive and honest opinion whenever you need a rant as well! :-) good work getting an amp too, I reckon that's the way forward! Plug -> Play!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

Polar Bear wrote:If I was buying pedals for you, they'd be quite different from what I'd buy.

I reckon you should look for:
Highish gain OD so, SD1 or better still OCD style. (EHX glove, Mooer Hustle Drive, Eno or Blaxx clone etc)
A boost. EhX LPB1, Toany Built SHO
Chorus ish pedal. I like EHX style but obvs the boring option is Boss ;-) whilst it doesn't sound amazing the Rotovibe is fun and you'll dig the Cantrell vibe...
Reverb. If you want to spend a bunch of silly money there's lots of nice reverbs out there. If you realise that as soon as there's a bit of gain and you're not looking for 24b studio quality there's a few good options out there. I really like EHX style verb. It's not pristine, but it has a cool character. For you I'd also suggest keeping a very keen eye out for the Digitech digiverb. Horribly underrated, but great sounding, and a few cool settings to make fun noises with.
Delay! You could spend a lot. Ultimately, I get the distinct impression that you couldn't give a Fuxk about the cork sniffing nuances of a delay pedal. Respect! Analogue delays are warm and muddy sounding, they self oscillate, have very limited delay time and without spending big boy money, they aren't tap friendly. If I was you, if keep an eye out for a digitech digidelay. 7 different modes, great sounding, super cheap and could put up with many baby fluids being spilt into it. I had one for 7 years, but only got did of it as I needed tap.
Wah! Vox! Get a Vox! Or whichever comes up at the right money. They often suck tone, can be worth getting modded for true bypass.

With your bsiab and compressor, you're pretty set for rock and metal tones already.

Always happy to give you an aggressive and honest opinion whenever you need a rant as well! :-) good work getting an amp too, I reckon that's the way forward! Plug -> Play!
Thanks Tod! Still have my Wylde Wah, so sorted the, and it's tbp. Good to see the glove in there, they're not too spendy. You're also right about my lack of cork sniffery. A boutique delay would be like Margot Robbie - wouldn't know what to do with it if I got my hands on one.

Opinions on alternatives to the whammy? Pitchfork?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

Pitchfork + expression pedal might get you close, but it'll be similar money to a whammy then :(

I reckon you should join or start a band and then the pedal choices will become far more obvious :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote:I reckon you should join or start a band and then the pedal choices will become far more obvious :)
+1

I guess it's like that with most things, really. Whenever I've had to learn a new software language, for example, it's always been easier if I have a specific project in mind.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

I like my Wren & Cuff Violet World fuzz, for the sustain and general splattery goodness. The Timeline and BigSky are unbeatable and worth the extra $ you pay. I'm sure I'll like the Pigtronix Infinity looper I have, more, once I learn how to use it better. Loopers are the coolest pedals to have I reckon - being able to have something which allows you to play back and noodle over is an absolute joy.
Make Music Great Again

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Hamo, I may have missed it, but what speakers are you playing your soldano head through?

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

For you Hamo, I would get a TS based OD....most of your 80s heros have done the TS boosting a marshall at some point. (My favourite is the Keeley modded TS9/808) I also find I love the Ibanez TS9 more when its used with the band...by itself in the bedroom you hear that midhump that people love to hate, so maybe you'd be better off finding a version/copy that has less of the midspike.
MXR Distortion + for you too maybe? Randy Rhoads, Paul Gilbert, Dave Murray and more...although if I was gonna aim for these sounds I reckon you'd get more fun out of a crazy flexible fuzz.
And then I'd get a flashback delay...simple enough to get a good sound, but the toneprints give you stuff to play with.
Looper is a good idea too, but the Flashback has that in it anyway ;)

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re:

Post by hamo »

AiRdAd wrote:Hamo, I may have missed it, but what speakers are you playing your soldano head through?
Fairly certain it's a Peavey Sheffield.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Scooter13 wrote:For you Hamo, I would get a TS based OD....most of your 80s heros have done the TS boosting a marshall at some point. (My favourite is the Keeley modded TS9/808) I also find I love the Ibanez TS9 more when its used with the band...by itself in the bedroom you hear that midhump that people love to hate, so maybe you'd be better off finding a version/copy that has less of the midspike.
MXR Distortion + for you too maybe? Randy Rhoads, Paul Gilbert, Dave Murray and more...although if I was gonna aim for these sounds I reckon you'd get more fun out of a crazy flexible fuzz.
And then I'd get a flashback delay...simple enough to get a good sound, but the toneprints give you stuff to play with.
Looper is a good idea too, but the Flashback has that in it anyway ;)
I think narrowing down the od may well be the hardest part, just so many options! Flashback is looming as the most recommended delay option though!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Clanger wrote:I like my Wren & Cuff Violet World fuzz, for the sustain and general splattery goodness. The Timeline and BigSky are unbeatable and worth the extra $ you pay. I'm sure I'll like the Pigtronix Infinity looper I have, more, once I learn how to use it better. Loopers are the coolest pedals to have I reckon - being able to have something which allows you to play back and noodle over is an absolute joy.
I've always valued having a looper. Used to have a Hardwire dl-8 delay looper, making crazy reverse delay loops was hella fun.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Loopers are cool, I use mine for playing our samples live, saves lugging a laptop about!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Actually one pedal that I love that may be of use to you is the Akai Headrush. It's a brilliant delay, easy tap, but has an easy to access looper too. The hardwire is a great delay pedal too, btw.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Polar Bear wrote:Actually one pedal that I love that may be of use to you is the Akai Headrush. It's a brilliant delay, easy tap, but has an easy to access looper too. The hardwire is a great delay pedal too, btw.
YES!!!! Never owned one, no idea why not, must get one some time!!!