Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: What are your favourite pedals?

Post by SimpleSi »

My turn:

I'm saying Timmy as well, one of the best overdrives I've used, better than hotcakes or tube screamer. Colours tone subtly and makes a valve amp warm up.

Strymon Big Sky, the best money ever spent on reverb units, mainly for the bloomy and ethereal verbs, my flint is close second.

Last pedal, vox big bad wah. The Satriani wah, it's been great for years, lots of tone options, a sweet boost and the sweep is changeable on the fly with your feet.

There are so many pedals I've loved but those are the 3 I couldn't ever go without.
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

bbrunskill wrote:
hamo wrote: All good points Ben. Can I ask you WET guys, what would I be losing if I grabbed a mono rather than a stereo one?

MattH, I see you have a mono WET, how do you find it?
The mono WET is locked to just being a WET. The stereo version can be programmed over USB, and it can become any one of the neunaber pedals - WET Reverb, Chroma Chorus, Echelon Delay, Seraphim Shimmer, Infinity Hold.

If you buy a new one, the Stereo V2 pedals, then you can add an ExP which is a little pedal sized controller which lets you save 8 presets from any of the available sounds. It turns it in to a super cool little multi fx box.
Oh right, wow, that's quite a bit more for the money.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7859 times
Been liked: 4233 times

Post by jeremyb »

Stereo wet is the bomb, I have the shimmer software loaded on mine so the center knob can give me no shimmer and normal reverb or different levels of shimmer, really handy!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

benderissimo wrote:Did I? Because that's not at all what it does.
Yeah, you did, but it was ages ago and perhaps I misunderstood some of what you said (diplomatic old Vince) No biggie. :lol:
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1019 times

Post by bender »

Vince wrote:
benderissimo wrote:Did I? Because that's not at all what it does.
Yeah, you did, but it was ages ago and perhaps I misunderstood some of what you said (diplomatic old Vince) No biggie. :lol:
Hmmm... misunderstanding most likely. I've been using Aphex exciters in one form or another since about 1997. What they actually do is add harmonic content in parallel with your original signal- kind of like subtle, frequency-limited (ie filtered) distortion blended behind your clean tone. It has the effect of boosting the lows and/or the highs in a really tasteful way.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

hamo wrote:MattH, I see you have a mono WET, how do you find it?
Brilliant. I know the Stereo has a bunch of other features, but I've just found over the years that the simpler the pedal, the longer it stays on my board. Also, whilst I play with two amps at home, I only tend to gig one, so the stereo feature is pointless at the mo.

The mono wet has two dials - one for length of delay and one for mix. It's incredible the range of options that gives you.

I just like having pedals on my board that sound immense but are easy to drive. One or two knobs and a switch is enough.

It's a live thing. The band I play in never play the same set twice. I'm constantly changing up the sound according to the venue or adapting to whether or not we're playing as a trio or a duo, so presets don't really work.

I've been through all the really high end, complex stuff and just found that you can get some cool effects by exploring how your gear works together. Putting a trem with a delay makes the sound seem like it's coming from everywhere. Playing through an overdrive on the bridge pickup gives a much more mid-rangey, bitey attack. A clean, bridge pickup, hard trem sounds electronic.

Having said that, I'm still kind of gassing for a Flint!

:o)
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

I'd have to go with the mid-switch Hotcakes. They just sound slightly different to the current ones. I don't think I'd say 'better' or 'worse', it's just a sound that works better for me. It's responsible for about 90% of my sound live, and then it stacks with a Tubescreamer. Sounds great. Although apparently Timmy's are better...... :think:
As many have stated already, there's a reason Boss sell so many pedals. I have a particular penchant for the earlier versions, BF-2 etc, and especially the RV-3.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Delayman »

Yes I had a hotcake with the switch for years, and then traded it. When I bought a newer one (three knob) I didn't like it. But I could never tell if the pedal was different or I (and my gear) had just moved on. It wasn't terrible but it had a fizziness at higher OD settings that I didn't remember. I concluded it must play better with some setups better than others, as AC30 owners seem to rave about them.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

Boss CE-2 is just amazing

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 524 times

Post by HackSaw »

Seeing as a few people have mentioned it, this SD-1 has appeared on trademe...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 659788.htm

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

HackSaw wrote:Seeing as a few people have mentioned it, this SD-1 has appeared on trademe...

Not original.
Just saying.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

slowfingers wrote:
HackSaw wrote:Seeing as a few people have mentioned it, this SD-1 has appeared on trademe...

Not original.
Just saying.
And they're only about a hand shandy new, so he's pretty much adding a mod tax at that price.

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

apparently the 2 knob hotcake used a 741 chip whereas the 3 knob uses a jfet tl071...

I'm a fan of the 2 knob hotcake w 741 chip...

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Got the Prymaxe Vintage newsletter, 15% off pedals, so I thought I'd price an SD-1 from them. Pedal price came to $42 USD, but when I went to add the shipping, they wanted $115 USD. To ship A PEDAL. A Boss sized pedal. Local retailers have nothing to fear from these guys, I feel.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2495 times
Been liked: 2804 times

Post by Molly »

Not long back I sold a Boss OD1 that I'd had for decades. It was battered but worked fine. I liked it but after all those years just wanted a different 'colour' if you know what I mean?

Saw it on ebay.com a few months later for nearly three times the $100 or so I'd sold it for. Listing was very comprehensive and went on about a 'black chip' or some such. Oh well, I guess I let something go that was worth keeping.... :arse: