matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Basic/cheap recording recommendations?

Post by matman »

I want to do some basic home recordings of some songs and am looking for a set up that is super simple cheap, but sounds decent. I don't have an interface at the moment (unless you count the original irig which is pretty noisey).

Hardware and software-wise I have an ipad2 with GarageBand and we just bought the cheapest (if anything from the trendyfruit company can be called such) MacBook Pro w/retina because my wife is studying media arts at Tech and needed something that would run Final Cut Pro (lol at my own Freudian keyboard slip - typed 'Final Cut Bro') which obviously also has GarageBand. We also have an old but still going Acer laptop but that doesn't have a DAW loaded on it. I also have some m- audio AV 40 monitors and some audio technica ATM-50 phones.

I mainly need something to record guitar and bass but it would be good to have the flexibility to be able to either mic up my amp or lay down some (one else's- I belong to the Leo Kottke "Geese Farting in the Fog School of singing) vocals if I wanted. Having something that worked on the iPad would be cool (does anyone use theirs for recording? How do you cope with lack of storage space?) but obviously the MacBook would probably provide the best platform.

So any cheap suggestions for interfaces (2nd hand options are fine)? I think I may have asked something similar before but my existing equipment list has probably changed a bit. How much would you expect to pay for an ok 2nd hand mic and what should I be looking for there?
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Re: Basic/cheap recording recommendations?

Post by TmcB »

Hit up slash-ed about scoring his Saffire Scarlett 2i2
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

For iOS and Mac, Apogee One is a great choice if you can stretch it. Built in microphone which is pretty damn good, works with Mac or iPad and it has a DI input as well as an external mic input. They're expensive (around $500 new), but also an all-in-one solution (ie you won't need to buy a mic as well). Look for one on Tardme.

Here's the second gen one that works with an iPad:
http://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Apogee/Ap ... r-iPad-Mac

and here's the original one that is Mac only:
http://ubertec.co.nz/products/apogee-one-for-mac/26649/

Ed's Focusrite Scarlet won't work on your iPad, but it would be a great choice for your Mac.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Or there's this by Presonus:
http://oceaniaaudio.bigcartel.com/produ ... ing-system

$199, works with iOS and Mac. No built-in mic, but that's not the end of the world. I think I've got a spare Audio Technica mic you could have for cheapsies.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have a pod GX that I am probably going to get rid of http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

pm me
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 654 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Basically any USB interface will do. I've found the Focusrite Scarlett to be amazing bang for the buck. But if you can afford it, the Audient iD22 and the Apogee Duet are great sounding units.

normanpotter
Stagg
Stagg

Post by normanpotter »

Can recommend anything by Focusrite if you can get your hands on it, trawl TM. Picked up a Saffire 24 for a couple of hundred bucks not long ago with good results.

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

Thanks guys! I've been in touch with Slash-ed and I think my top options are either his Focusrite or the Presonus that benderissimo suggested. Scarlett would give me a great unit at a great price...Presonus maybe not quite as good in terms of inputs/preamps but with the added flexibility of being able to use it with my ipad. I did read that you can use the Scarlett with ipad if you use a usb y cable, a camera connection, and an external phone charge battery which could be an option (though it sounds a bit messy).

Anyone use their ipad for recording? How do you find it vs using your laptop?
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i hated recording on my ipad-in fact i abandoned pretty much anything to do with music on mine,other than using the touchpad to trigger samples.You'll find yourself wishing it was a laptop-especially when trying to get files in/out.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

I use my cheapo blackstar ID Core amp for recording, has a USB interface built in, does the trick! Handy if you need a little practice amp as well :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

I found iPhone and iPad recording to be way too much hassle to be worth it. You end up spending so much time wrestling with the apps etc that you don't end up getting work done.

If you have a Mac, I'd be using that for sure.
The Scarlett has quite high input gain if you only use EMG humbuckers you might find it always clips the input. But anything else will be fine.

The Scarlett has a decent sound, and phantom power. So it's pretty useful.
Ummm....