Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: New Strymon on the way soon.

Post by jeremyb »

Kev77 wrote:I think were about 5mins away from every pedal being a "slate" type deal where you just download the code/ blueprint etc.
Strymon, as clever as they are - are essentially selling a set of parameters in a set DSP engine.
They'll be selling a Strymon tweak able blank next. and then analogue ludites like me will left on the curb.
*AHEM* http://neunaber.net/products/slate-ster ... =936553877
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I must remember to get an owl and learn to program it at some stage

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

jeremyb wrote:
Kev77 wrote:I think were about 5mins away from every pedal being a "slate" type deal where you just download the code/ blueprint etc.
Strymon, as clever as they are - are essentially selling a set of parameters in a set DSP engine.
They'll be selling a Strymon tweak able blank next. and then analogue ludites like me will left on the curb.
*AHEM* http://neunaber.net/products/slate-ster ... =936553877
yes - :D thats what the " " around the slate were about. I have severe neunaber GAS,,,
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Oh durrrrr sorry Kev!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I think it looks good.
There's a lot of guys out there who don't have any desire, inclination and time to program the Timeline or Big Sky. The smaller Strymons are extremely easy to get good sounds out of straight out of the box, and this appeals to a broad section of players. THis is not designed to replace a Timeline in your chain, it's designed to get people into Strymon who wouldn't want the complexity of the Timeline. I'm looking forward to getting them in, they look another winner!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

But your kerbstones will be large lush delay machines with very big knobs and bigger power supplies. Grieving will at least sound pleasant as the digital choral crowds run to the horizon...
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

amen to my large knobs
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Polar Bear wrote:I think it looks good.
There's a lot of guys out there who don't have any desire, inclination and time to program the Timeline or Big Sky. The smaller Strymons are extremely easy to get good sounds out of straight out of the box, and this appeals to a broad section of players. THis is not designed to replace a Timeline in your chain, it's designed to get people into Strymon who wouldn't want the complexity of the Timeline. I'm looking forward to getting them in, they look another winner!
Yeah I'd never buy a timeline, way too complicated!

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

Yeah the timeline is a bit crazy. I really only use 4-5 effects from each of my 3 large strymons. And they're factory ones too. Lol haven't sat down to refine any as they're all good
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

jeremyb wrote:Yeah I'd never buy a timeline, way too complicated!
really doesn't have to be tho! factory presets sound AMAZE and tweaking the basic params is simple as pie. You only have to get balls deep if you really want to. check out the rabea massad (andertons.co.uk) youtube demo of his strymon gear. its a good example of how you can tweak the big strymons on the fly, just like a boss or tc pedal etc. in some ways the big strymons are easier to tweak than say a tc flashback, because you have each param dedicated to its own knob (ib;you). yar, anyway....like Si says, factory presets sound so good, make you wanna slap yo mamma! :clap:
Little by little, by hook or by crook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Kloppsta wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Yeah I'd never buy a timeline, way too complicated!
really doesn't have to be tho! factory presets sound AMAZE and tweaking the basic params is simple as pie. You only have to get balls deep if you really want to. check out the rabea massad (andertons.co.uk) youtube demo of his strymon gear. its a good example of how you can tweak the big strymons on the fly, just like a boss or tc pedal etc. in some ways the big strymons are easier to tweak than say a tc flashback, because you have each param dedicated to its own knob (ib;you). yar, anyway....like Si says, factory presets sound so good, make you wanna slap yo mamma! :clap:
LOL the thing is I would only ever have it set to one sound, I layer 3 different sounding delays to get my sound, mix of analog and digital, adding ones in and out to get the right mood happening for a song / part of song, never touch the settings, they're all set to fairly short delays so you can't hear the repeats it just washes over you :mental:

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

furry muff! all this talk of layering delays has got me thinking....i always used to think of delay as a "standalone" sound and mixed with reverb or modulation it sounds awesome. i remember my good old carbon copy and rv5 together used to sound huge and lush! what does stacking delays actually give you? just MOAR of that sound?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Kloppsta wrote:furry muff! all this talk of layering delays has got me thinking....i always used to think of delay as a "standalone" sound and mixed with reverb or modulation it sounds awesome. i remember my good old carbon copy and rv5 together used to sound huge and lush! what does stacking delays actually give you? just MOAR of that sound?
Yarrr more of the awesome, I usually have carbon copy + neunaber wet to get a nice clear but thick sound, and when we get into a buildup in a song I'll kick in another delay (usually alter ego in echorec mode) to thicken it up and make it get to the edge of feedback with heavier picking, rarrrrrrrrrr!!!

I used to use delay all wrong, too in your face, and it was always a muddy mess, then I watched this video and was enlightened!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4R-Gx_gaWU[/youtube]

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

sweet! will check that vid out.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I agree that Strymon should be heading in the Slate kind of direction. No idea if it's killed sales of their stand-alone units (Timefactor etc) but Eventides H9 is absolutely killing it, features-wise and value for money.

They could also look at smaller, single sized pedals - ie an El Capistan 'Mini' or blueSky Mini, minus a few bells & whistles ofcourse but with the same great sound.

There are also the older Damage Control tube pedals that could be revisited and Strymon-ised. Not to mention the TimeLine's deficiencies that could be addressed: Only 2.5 seconds maximum delay time, short maximum loop length, digital mode not as 'pristine' as other units.