Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Running a pedal at 18v.

Post by Reg18 »

I have a Lovepedal Kalamazoo and have heard it sounds great running it at 18v, however I only have a visual Sound 1 Spot daisy chain. Is there a cheap 9v-18v in line product that I can buy to achieve this? I really don't have the cash to invest in a New Power Supply right now so was hoping for an inexpensive solution.
Anyone built something like this before?

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Running a pedal at 18v.

Post by StratMatt »

T Rex make a 9-18v adapter, it's just two 9v plugs running into one 18v so you'll need one extra plug. Ryan will sort you out.
Loving it so far

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

StratMatt88 wrote:T Rex make a 9-18v adapter, it's just two 9v plugs running into one 18v so you'll need one extra plug. Ryan will sort you out.
Wouldn't I need 2 Isolated 9v joined to make 18v? I would assume just joining to 9v plugs from the daisy chain would still be 9v?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7738 times
Been liked: 4182 times

Post by jeremyb »

That won't work with a daisy chain, you will need two separate power sources to use a normal cable doubler, or you could wire up a simple charge pump circuit to do it, Godlyke make an inline 9-18V converter tho' if you can find one online, or buy a proper power supply ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Reg18 wrote:
StratMatt88 wrote:T Rex make a 9-18v adapter, it's just two 9v plugs running into one 18v so you'll need one extra plug. Ryan will sort you out.
Wouldn't I need 2 Isolated 9v joined to make 18v? I would assume just joining to 9v plugs from the daisy chain would still be 9v?
Ah yes, quite right. Ignore me, haven't had my morning caffeine yet :?
Loving it so far

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote:That won't work with a daisy chain, you will need two separate power sources to use a normal cable doubler, or you could wire up a simple charge pump circuit to do it, Godlyke make an inline 9-18V converter tho' if you can find one online, or buy a proper power supply ;)
Just looked up the Godlyke product, actually looks like exactly what I'd need, but at $60 I might has we'll buy one of those Joyo Brick power supply's for $99 which has a couple of 18v outs and have more options. But then again if I go that far I might as well spend $200 and get a good second hand proper isolated one.......and I've come full circle again realising I really just need to buy a proper PS!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2489 times

Post by Slowy »

I use a 18v laptop PS that I scrounged from work. It's only running a DLS and I expected it to be noisy, but it's fine.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote:.......and I've come full circle again realising I really just need to buy a proper PS!
Thats the correct answer, buying a decent one is something you will never regret, and never need to replace! I have 12 pedals running off my PP2+ with no noise or hassles :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 381 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Keep your eye open for an MXR MC403
Has 4 X 18v dc outs ,
8 X 9v dc
2 x 9v dc (with sag )
and 2 X 9v ac

I've had Voodoo Labs, BBE and Cioks in the past and this thing covers my rig better thanks to the 18v outs which I need for Pigtronix and prefer where possible with other stuff for the extra headroom..Nit expensive either
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Yeah I saw that one online, it does have good specs!

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

jeremyb wrote:That won't work with a daisy chain, you will need two separate power sources to use a normal cable doubler, or you could wire up a simple charge pump circuit to do it, Godlyke make an inline 9-18V converter tho' if you can find one online, or buy a proper power supply ;)
there's $5-$10 worth of parts going the DIY route and an hours worth of mucking around - do it on a tiny piece of veroboard and buy a small piece of large heatshrink to encapsulate it to make an 'inline' unit. almost a no-brainer, I'm sure someone here could do it for you...

You need an ICL7660 chip - can get 10x delivered for less than $3 on ebay from china.

I could make you one but wouldnt be for a few months cos all my gear is in storage atm while I'm on a work project in AU.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I think I even have some of those at home, could probably knock you up something like fuzzie suggests :)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote:I think I even have some of those at home, could probably knock you up something like fuzzie suggests :)
Yeah I'd be keen to give it a go, heaps cheaper than buying a new PS.
Have you bought a Cabronita Tele yet?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I think I even have some of those at home, could probably knock you up something like fuzzie suggests :)
Cool, will have a looksie for the chips and a circuit and knock something up this weekend :)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote:
Reg18 wrote:
Cool, will have a looksie for the chips and a circuit and knock something up this weekend :)
Awesome, thanks man!