Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Clapton Auction GAS

Post by TMG 03 »

For those of you who did know Clapton was having another Auction to raise some funds for his Rehab Centre here is and update on the Big night.

New Records were set for pretty much every model listed

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/ ... 00253.html

Bit rich for my blood :wink:

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Lordy lordy, yep yep yep. Just imagine if his Beano album LP Standard was ever found and auctioned............mucho dollaero also.
Wouldn't have minded that 12 string......that was one gooey gat.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Any Clapton Acoustic would a nice little keeper.

What do you think of his from the Cradle Album? It has some great gibson sounds on it. And that Live in Hyde Park.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

:shock:

damn.. a million bucks for blackie..

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

remember thats $us, well over a million in our currency

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

TMG 03 wrote:Any Clapton Acoustic would a nice little keeper.

What do you think of his from the Cradle Album? It has some great gibson sounds on it. And that Live in Hyde Park.

From The Cradle is one ballsy album, one of my faves is Tore Down it has great 335 work on that,wouldn't mind the video of that clip I saw on tele years ago. EC uses a handful of Gibbos on it but no LP damn it :cry:

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

The Live in Hyde park version of I tore down is my current all time fav clapton live song.

He then does hoave you ever loved a woman on the 355 and it is really great as well.

There were some pics of him using a Les Paul a few years ago. I think it was the one that sold at the auction.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

he gets really good tone out of a strat, so no need for him to play anything else really. I'm still torn between the two ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Hey BG why does there have to be only one? you can live with both, surely, as Eric does (or even use another such as Ricky).

I find this whole sale thing most intriguing - now these instruments have sort of transcended their purpose - like they can never really be used again as guitars in public as they are now too valuable and culturally important. Thus Blackie and Co are going to spend all of what is left of their time in air conditioned vaults.

Some of the cheaper ones may still be played a bit by their new owners but if you broke a string it would no longer be 'as Eric sold it' which may significantly decrease it's value and at $30,000 plus that's not something you'd want to do.

As for Eric's tone etc - love it all apart from some accoustic older blues/pop pieces (esp 'tears in heavan' and 'wonderful tonight' - spew-making lyrics IMHO - melodies are OK/so so) - of course being personally so retro means things like the 'Crossroads solo' or 'I'm so glad' stick in my mind a bit more than the recent stuff but it's all good.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

from what I've heard of his strat tone of late, it sounds horrible, Jubilee concert in 2002 was the last I heard of him live though, it was absolutely dreadful, he was using one of those Graffiti strats that looked as ugly as it sounded. But I haven't heard anything else so I shouldn't be too harsh. Maybe he jsut needs an AC30!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

TMG 03 wrote:The Live in Hyde park version of I tore down is my current all time fav clapton live song.

He then does hoave you ever loved a woman on the 355 and it is really great as well.

There were some pics of him using a Les Paul a few years ago. I think it was the one that sold at the auction.

Yeah I've got an older pic from around '91 or '92 with him using a cherry sunburst so I don't think it was that gat if from that period. Jeez he looks so cooool using an LP. I'll just have to have him over for a jam and compare notes(get it) I guess :wink:

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I remember reading EC saying that Blackie is unplayable now, so perhaps a piece of 'art' is all it can be used for now?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Was it Blackie that had been refretted so many times that it wouldn't take new frets?
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

I think you're right about Blackie.