Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote: My THD cab might be a bit dark sounding with it but it does have a lower-end thud that I never heard with the Friedman Runt

Take off the grille cloth and remove the duct tape 'beam blockers'. You might notice a difference.

Ah. OK. Will do. Thanks.

I thought maybe because it's got such high power handling that it might not be getting to move much at lower volumes. Could be talking out of my rear end there of course. The matching cab for this amp has Creamback 65s in it.

I also found it to be really focused. What you heard depended on where you stood and the highs were in a tight beam.
You could also remove one of the rear panels if this was an issue.
Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote:Take off the grille cloth and remove the duct tape 'beam blockers'. You might notice a difference.

Ah. OK. Will do. Thanks.

I thought maybe because it's got such high power handling that it might not be getting to move much at lower volumes. Could be talking out of my rear end there of course. The matching cab for this amp has Creamback 65s in it.

I also found it to be really focused. What you heard depended on where you stood and the highs were in a tight beam.

Removed the duct tape. Interesting it was only over the speaker that I'd decided i didn't like as much as the other (I've wired it with two independent 16ohm inputs). Now the tape's gone I find it harder to hear a difference. :thumbup: We're talking home volumes here by the way so I'm not making any huge declarations about the pros and cons of beam blockers.
Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote:
Ah. OK. Will do. Thanks.

Removed the duct tape. Interesting it was only over the speaker that I'd decided i didn't like as much as the other (I've wired it with two independent 16ohm inputs). Now the tape's gone I find it harder to hear a difference. :thumbup: We're talking home volumes here by the way so I'm not making any huge declarations about the pros and cons of beam blockers.

Thought I'd done both. Let me guess; you didn't like the Longhorn?
And yeah; louder is more. Incredibly clear and detailed in a band setting, that cab.
Slowy wrote:Thought I'd done both. Let me guess; you didn't like the Longhorn?
And yeah; louder is more. Incredibly clear and detailed in a band setting, that cab.

The Vintage one was the one I liked least but there was nothing in it and even less with the tape removed. Shame I didn't have this amp a week ago. Would've been nice to take it to Gearfest and hear it and the cab at a decent volume.
Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote:Thought I'd done both. Let me guess; you didn't like the Longhorn?

The Vintage one was the one I liked least but there was nothing in it and even less with the tape removed. Shame I didn't have this amp a week ago. Would've been nice to take it to Gearfest and hear it and the cab at a decent volume.

Ha! You're the same as me. I separated them as well and preferred the Longhorn. As a pair, the Vintage gives a bit of grit while the Longhorn provides clarity. Best tones I ever got from it were with a JTM45 in a 2 guitar band, playing to about 500 people. Feckin glorious.
A package arrived yesterday.
A package - not the package. Bleh.
This arrives today!!! very excited to give it a try!!!
Attachments
GMWTGN703XX_large.jpg
GMWTGN703XX_large.jpg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 161 times