Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sunburster wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:

Oh im not worried so much a curious. I realise they were student level offerings compared to the fancier JM and jag, but I dont know how far that trickled down in terms of actual quality.

They feel like student guitars. I started out playing my brother's 1970 Mustang in the early 90s. Decent guitar, but as soon as I played my friend's Jaguar I never wanted to go back. The mustang felt like a toy in comparison.

That does seem to be a very common criticism of them. Oh well, hopefully its got some mojo and I can get it to play ok.
I think Its more likely I will continue to be the weakest link in the signal chain though...not the guitar!
sunburster wrote:

Oh im not worried so much a curious. I realise they were student level offerings compared to the fancier JM and jag, but I dont know how far that trickled down in terms of actual quality.

They feel like student guitars. I started out playing my brother's 1970 Mustang in the early 90s. Decent guitar, but as soon as I played my friend's Jaguar I never wanted to go back. The mustang felt like a toy in comparison.

That does seem to be a very common criticism of them. Oh well, hopefully IT SMELLS LIKE CAT PISS and I can get it to play ok.
I think Its more likely I will continue to be the weakest link in the signal chain though...not the guitar!

fixed.
Bg wrote:
sunburster wrote:

That does seem to be a very common criticism of them. Oh well, hopefully IT SMELLS LIKE CAT PISS and I can get it to play ok.

fixed.

the last vintage fender (p bass) i bought I WISH smelled of cat piss. it was like it had been embalmed in a a mixture of arm pit sweat, Donald duck Dunns pipe tappings and musty carpet rolls left out for collection
Tele parts have started arriving.
The goldtop and the arirang are paid for.
Arirang bits on their way too.

Oh yes.

... but the cricket bat has gone in for major surgery cuz I couldn’t for the life of me make it go again :clap:
I found a post by the Russian guy that sources those 6P14P-K valves from the military. There are long life ones, but these are not that. The K stands for vibration resistant, which i presume may also mean low microphonics. I am quite keen to see what they are like when they get here. I will have a spare pair, which I might part with if somebody wants to try them. I think they are Reflector, but should be a cut above the standard EL-84 they do for EHX etc, at least for quality specs. It is just for the Laney.
Aquila Rossa wrote:I just ordered a quad of Soviet era 6P14P-K Matched and tested. $95 including shipping, so cheaper than regular JJs here. They are also known as EL-84L. The L stands for long life. Anybody used these before?

https://reverb.com/nz/item/6959483-true ... el84-tubes

I have used these, they were great.

https://www.thetubestore.com/preferred- ... emium-el84
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
They look good. Low microphonics and longer life. I am not sure if it is actually true, but I have always understood EL84 and to some extend 6V6 wear out faster than bigger valves when driven hard for long hours like I do. If true the extended life versions may be a money saver if you can get them for a good price like I did.