Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

#743922
dayl wrote:Its pretty much getting to the point where if you cant get a decent recording of a guitar tone using plugins, apps, emulations etc... you only have yourself to blame. The technology is coming along exceptionally well. Different story for sitting at home solo noodling, but as far as sitting in the mix is concerned, its pretty much a closed case with few exceptions and fewer excuses.


With a comment like this you are questioning personal subjectivity.
When I play through a sim, like Rossa said, there's something missing. I'm not the greatest player but I tend to bring out characteristics of my style a bit better when playing through tubes. Like the bell like tones at the high end, the 'no fizz' and harmonic overtones and touch sensitivity that the sims I've played simply cant reproduce.
It's personal preference. What is decent tone anyway?
What is for me isn't for you and vice versa.
#743925
Aquila Rossa wrote:
With the Laney IRT Studio I am getting something I have not had for few years of using only modelling. Not plugged into tube amp that whole time, but with the IRT what I always felt was missing from modelling was suddenly there. I am not sure how to describe it tho. It is just 'something' and I like it :D


Keep hearing great things about the IRT. Do you use the direct out often? Do you have to couple it with IR's?
#743928
griff7628 wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:
With the Laney IRT Studio I am getting something I have not had for few years of using only modelling. Not plugged into tube amp that whole time, but with the IRT what I always felt was missing from modelling was suddenly there. I am not sure how to describe it tho. It is just 'something' and I like it :D


Keep hearing great things about the IRT. Do you use the direct out often? Do you have to couple it with IR's?


I am using the USB out at this stage and cab sims in my recording software. I like the amp a lot, but it does have quite a narrow range of tones. I am planning on using pedals into the clean channel to address that. Stuff like the Suhr Riot for the hot rod sound and some kind of tweed like pedal etc. I am waiting for the Two Notes Captor to go on sale. The Laney's internal load forces the amp to run at less than one watt when using no cab, instead of 15 watts. The Two Notes unit will allow me to run it at full power and use their cab software in DAW. I am hoping it will open the amp up a bit.

P.S. The Laney IRT Studio will get you into Tony Iommi's more modern tones very easily. It has enough gain to do the 'brootalz' and Djent etc, but is not tight enough. EQ in the loop and the right IR may help, but there are easier ways to go for that sound.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#743929
Aquila Rossa wrote:The Laney's internal load forces the amp to run at less than one watt when using no cab, instead of 15 watts. The Two Notes unit will allow me to run it at full power and use their cab software in DAW. I am hoping it will open the amp up a bit.


Have you tried running the FX send of the amp into DAW? Obviously it won't have the power amp sound but that should open it up quite a bit for now.
#743930
godgrinder wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:The Laney's internal load forces the amp to run at less than one watt when using no cab, instead of 15 watts. The Two Notes unit will allow me to run it at full power and use their cab software in DAW. I am hoping it will open the amp up a bit.


Have you tried running the FX send of the amp into DAW? Obviously it won't have the power amp sound but that should open it up quite a bit for now.


Not yet. Two Notes does power amp sims, so can add that into the mix. Thinking I can use a mix of that, along with USB and the speaker out to the reactive load. Power amp is nice on the Laney tho. The dynamics control too. That 1 watt resistor for the Laney's internal load sounds quite good surprisingly enough. Can;t help thinking full power will be better tho.

The Two Notes Captor is not just for the Laney. I plan to build and 18 watter and a 5E3 to use it with. Sounds the Laney does not do.
#743938
griff7628 wrote:
dayl wrote:Its pretty much getting to the point where if you cant get a decent recording of a guitar tone using plugins, apps, emulations etc... you only have yourself to blame. The technology is coming along exceptionally well. Different story for sitting at home solo noodling, but as far as sitting in the mix is concerned, its pretty much a closed case with few exceptions and fewer excuses.


With a comment like this you are questioning personal subjectivity.
When I play through a sim, like Rossa said, there's something missing. I'm not the greatest player but I tend to bring out characteristics of my style a bit better when playing through tubes. Like the bell like tones at the high end, the 'no fizz' and harmonic overtones and touch sensitivity that the sims I've played simply cant reproduce.
It's personal preference. What is decent tone anyway?
What is for me isn't for you and vice versa.


Nah not really. Im saying that by the time you add Drums bass and mix it all down, the subtle nuances that set real toobz and sims apart have taken a backseat. Thats how close things really are these days. You want harmonic overtones? thats just a plugin away if you need more. If you cant get the sound you like off the bat to record with a sim then that could be an issue as we would often need to vibe with our toan to enable us to lay down the best performance. But in saying that, these 'feels good sounds good' tones dont always sit in the mix well.
#743942
dayl wrote: these 'feels good sounds good' tones dont always sit in the mix well.


I agree with this bit - lots of tones that work well in isolation own don't work well in the mix live or recorded.
#743943
Delayman wrote:
dayl wrote: these 'feels good sounds good' tones dont always sit in the mix well.


I agree with this bit - lots of tones that work well in isolation own don't work well in the mix live or recorded.


especially when the drummer kicks in...
  • 1
  • 469
  • 470
  • 471
  • 472
  • 473
  • 478