olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I'd go for a Taylor GS mini, (and all mahogany) unless you come across a Larrivee Parlor guitar.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I happen to have a Larrivee parlour hanging on the wall at work, beautiful little guitar!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I got a cheapie Sigma mini, basically a copy of a Martin mini... it's okay, nothing to write home about but it fitted the size requirements.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

I grabbed an American Standard tele off the wall while trying out an AC10 in Music Planet. In hindsight this was a terrible decision as I haven't been able to stop thinking about tele's since. The one saving grace is that the Standard is well and truly more than what I'd be willing to spend. But it's got me thinking seriously about finding a cheap MIM or offbrand as a first foray into teleland.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

mule wrote:I grabbed an American Standard tele off the wall while trying out an AC10 in Music Planet. In hindsight this was a terrible decision as I haven't been able to stop thinking about tele's since. The one saving grace is that the Standard is well and truly more than what I'd be willing to spend. But it's got me thinking seriously about finding a cheap MIM or offbrand as a first foray into teleland.
I would reach for a Squier CV before an MIM, but that's only based on the one MIM tele I have played.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

codedog wrote:
mule wrote:I grabbed an American Standard tele off the wall while trying out an AC10 in Music Planet. In hindsight this was a terrible decision as I haven't been able to stop thinking about tele's since. The one saving grace is that the Standard is well and truly more than what I'd be willing to spend. But it's got me thinking seriously about finding a cheap MIM or offbrand as a first foray into teleland.
I would reach for a Squier CV before an MIM, but that's only based on the one MIM tele I have played.
Before I had a tele I used to borrow an MIM one, and it was pretty good. I think the guy had changed pickups, but it really had that Glory Days thing going on.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Delayman wrote:
codedog wrote:
Before I had a tele I used to borrow an MIM one, and it was pretty good. I think the guy had changed pickups, but it really had that Glory Days thing going on.
You hit it right on the head, it was the pickups I had issues with.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote: You hit it right on the head, it was the pickups I had issues with.
You should really try it now with the new pickups and Alan Farrow setup on it, shes awesome!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:I have a Maton mini 12 string. Sounds good. 1400$. I also have an ashton mini with solid top....sounds better! $340
Perhaps swap the strings?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Classic vibe 60s if you like a thin neck. The squier stuff is properly good shit.
Mim 60s classic if you can find one though.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

Single coil wrote:
Classic vibe 60s if you like a thin neck. The squier stuff is properly good shit.
I just need to get in store where I can try a few things out. I'm not against squier at all (I love my J Mascis jazzmaster) but I'm wary of buying one new and losing so much on resale. So either way I'll be trawling TM.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

mule wrote:
Single coil wrote:
I just need to get in store where I can try a few things out. I'm not against squier at all (I love my J Mascis jazzmaster) but I'm wary of buying one new and losing so much on resale. So either way I'll be trawling TM.
the j mascis squiers are fantastic aren't they!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

I would reach for a Squier CV before an MIM, but that's only based on the one MIM tele I have played.[/quote]

agreed I tried MIM , CV and the real fender back to back over 90 mins but I kept going back to the CV. Eventually I bought it which felt weird because my brain couldn't accept what the heart liked but the MIM was easily the in last place. Wasn't really planning on spending on the real fender anyway but The Cv had the best neck which swayed it,
planned to do the wiring kit and pickups but have never bothered in the end and really happy with it.
only thing wrong is the natural blonde finish is a bit of a shite copy only looks good from 20ft away so plan is to make it more authentic

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

I bought a butterscotch Squier Affinity for a mate, it was in exchange for a bike (bicycle), after I played every Tele in the Rockshop under $1000.

The Vintage teles were dull and poorly finished (big neck gaps sharp fretboard edges) and about the same price as a Squier. The more expensive Squiers had sharp fretboard edges and sticky thick poly finished necks.

The Affinity was the cheapest Squier but had a thin satin finish neck with rolled edges and tight neck joint, plugged in sounded like a good Tele should. Switches and tuners felt good and functioned well. In hindsight I should have ordered two, one for him and one for me.
Tin arse!!

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I remember posting about my cv60s bound sunburst tele.
It was very heavy, but very pretty. I couldn’t fault it, except on the thin neck, which is subjective anyway.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.