Peavey 5150

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Peavey 5150

Post by robnobcorncob »

Basket Case wrote:
heavyneeerd wrote:yeah want a recto cab but while im saving i want to lern as much as i can about what constitutes a good deal on a quality cab

don't like marshall cabs that i've heard so far
but they've gotta be better than my line6 :lol:
I just bought a Recto 2x12 for my JSX.

It's fricken sweet!
*JEALOUSY* haha I've got that on my 'to acquire' list 8)

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Recto 2x12s are indeed awesome cabs. The bottomiest 2x12 I've ever heard.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

It actually doesn't have as much bottom end as I thought it would. It's certainly not a "boomy" bottom end that dominates the sound anyway. It has a bit of a mid-scoop to it, so the mids on my amp have been brought up to compensate. With the other cabinets I've used with this amp, bringing up the mids resulted in a high mid spike coming through that was a bit unpleasant. The Mesa makes the mids sound rich, warm and creamy...

It has V30s in it, which is what I was running the amp with when I first got it. I became convinced that the JSX didn't work with them. Goes to show what a difference the enclosure can make.

I haven't used it with the band yet, but I have gigs tonight and tomorrow night, so it will be interesting to hear how well it cuts through.

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

Once upon a time i was bidding on a boogie 2x12 to be used with my DSL100. I was the only bidder for a week, no one else asked any questions, no one else bidded. But when the auction finished i was at work, i just thought "It hasn't been popular, i should win it easy".

Turns out that 2 mins before the auction finished, one guy bidded $1 more and won it. If i ever meet him face-to-face he better watch out... :lol:
A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, theres nobody home". I went over, nobody was home.

heavyneeerd
Stagg
Stagg

Post by heavyneeerd »

Ibanezdude wrote:Once upon a time i was bidding on a boogie 2x12 to be used with my DSL100. I was the only bidder for a week, no one else asked any questions, no one else bidded. But when the auction finished i was at work, i just thought "It hasn't been popular, i should win it easy".

Turns out that 2 mins before the auction finished, one guy bidded $1 more and won it. If i ever meet him face-to-face he better watch out... :lol:
nothing worse than that man!
if your thinking of starting a possie to find these people count me in!
(i can really swing a sack of doorknobs)
"Stinky britches, you've got stinky britches"

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

haha cheers.

I spose it worked out for the better, cause then i went and bought a 1960B which is awesome too. However a 2x12 would be really good for practices and what-not
A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, theres nobody home". I went over, nobody was home.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I got a 1x12 recto cab thats sounds pretty nice. Looking for another to go with my DC-2. they don't come around very often :(

heavyneeerd
Stagg
Stagg

Post by heavyneeerd »

[quote=
I haven't used it with the band yet, but I have gigs tonight and tomorrow night, so it will be interesting to hear how well it cuts through.[/quote]

How'd the show go with your new cab?

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

First night was the usual bullshit of trying to compete with our bass player who thinks he should be twice as loud as everyone else :roll: so the result was not a great indication of it's ability to cut through. The second night was outdoors on a high stage. I had already decided that I was going to make myself fucking loud because being outside and well elevated, I could point the cab at me and be crazy loud without affecting our front of house mix. But then said bass player's amp shit itself so I only had his d.i'd sound to compete with anyway, so it was great :lol:

Probably not the most helpful review, but I'm well impressed with it and it really has made my amp sound much better. I don't have any concerns about it's ability to cut through.

heavyneeerd
Stagg
Stagg

Post by heavyneeerd »

Basket Case wrote:First night was the usual bullshit of trying to compete with our bass player who thinks he should be twice as loud as everyone else :roll: so the result was not a great indication of it's ability to cut through. The second night was outdoors on a high stage. I had already decided that I was going to make myself fucking loud because being outside and well elevated, I could point the cab at me and be crazy loud without affecting our front of house mix. But then said bass player's amp shit itself so I only had his d.i'd sound to compete with anyway, so it was great :lol:

Probably not the most helpful review, but I'm well impressed with it and it really has made my amp sound much better. I don't have any concerns about it's ability to cut through.
aaaaaaah bass players........bless em!
i feel your pain man i have to put my stuff on a chair