The new NZGuitars amplifier

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

What do you think?

What? A crappy Marshall??
9%
What? Only a week??
9%
Ugggh. A giant Valvestate.
55%
Thanks Tsuken!!!
27%

Total votes: 11

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

The new NZGuitars amplifier

Post by gregtarr »

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/list ... 053675.htm

Here is the new NZGuitars amplifier, kindly donated by Tsuken to us all. It will be driven around to our houses, we will each be allowed to use it for one (1) week, whereupon it will be taken to the next NZGuitars member, all at Tsuken's expense. Nice of him, aye?

He has also purchased this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/0001-1260-/auction-8987140.htm
In order to drive it around.
I am moving to Dunedin today, and have packed my stuff into the car (1 suitcase of clothes, amp head, cabinet, 1 guitar, bag of guitar pedals/cables) and it's a station wagon, but there is not much room left!
I thought it was funny that I have 3X more guitar stuff than everything else combined.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

:P

Yes, I'll probably get a valvestate when I buy an amp, but it won't be that one; it's ridiculous. And once I do venture above about 60watts (which is probably where I'll be looking initially), it'll probably be all tube. poo to Mode fours. :P (note the seller doesn't mention that the power section is solid state; then again, I didn't know that until someone (VI I think) said so on here. ...Then again, if he bought the damn thing he ough to know what's in it.)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Hope the move goes well. Having all that guitar stuff is a good thing. 8) 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Good luck with the grand treck south - now you will need to be careful on Campus as there are a lot of apparently deranged, drunken wierdos out there - fortunately they are usually up the front in lectures teaching so you can recognise them easily - and of course your fellow students who will try to hide things in your amp (or at least is was the favoured place for 'dried vegetable matter' in my day), so if it starts sounding funny or starts giggling a lot you'll now know why :-)
You can't do THAT on stage!

VillageIdiot
Stagg
Stagg

Post by VillageIdiot »

I hate that amp with a passion... its so gross.

Too much power... solid state power section... yeergs.
Click me!!! ::Guitar::Amp::Rig

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

Well, I made it to Dunedin, and have a new computer things, and everything was going ok, I had a jam with one of the RA's in my hall, and was going to have a jam with another one (both of whom were doing a fair amount of drooling). But, I turned it on the other day and it made a loud popping sound and died.
It has a fuse failure warning light which is now lit when I turn it on (even though I replaced it with a new one today), it is very quiet even when turned up full, one tube is glowing (with kind of lightning inside it) and the other one is doing nothing. I'm guessing it will be expensive, but I hope I can get it fixed soon anyway. Hope.
I miss it.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Doh! bit of a bummer -maybe a tube got rattled a bit much in transit? (aren't you meant to let things like that settle for a few days?)

Good to hear you made it down to hicksville-south from hicksville-north - let us know if there are any purdy cousin types down there :D

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

if sum1 plans to bring an amp to my house, bring a damn mesa triple rectifier, those mode fours a stupid i reakon as well, all that power, but its not all tube, so i find it stupid, get all tube and u'd only need 100 watts, but if ur like me u'd want 150watts! o yea, that amount of tube power has to kill ya lol.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

Mantermite
Widdle-widdle weeoorrr

Post by Mantermite »

Just curious has the haters actually heard them being played or even playe dthem and tweaked them to see what sounds you can get out of them?
Plink Plunk. Aww Fawk it. Plink Splink Splunk. Nuts... Schwing doodle whiiz wee clunk. Ouch fingers cold...
"Stalks off and glares at guitars from the corner of the room"

Dork.

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

No, none of them have. (I'm so certain that I'm right that I'm stating it as fact, when I have no proof at all)
"Too much power"
350W isn't much for a car amplifier is it? Also, many bass cabinets are at least that much. And I'm fairly sure that 350W is a fairly small PA.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

but 350 watts as a guitar amp is focking loud.

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

Ok, has anyone ever seen the back of a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier? Did you see how many tubes it has? Did you realise that it is designed to run tubes pretty hot - and will chew through them in a year or so? Do you realise how much tubes cost?

I remember seeing somewhere between 6 - 8 power tubes (perhaps I'm wrong) and to replace them will be kind of $500. Ok, I looked it up, and I'm wrong. When you buy a Mesa Triple Rectifier it comes with 6 6L6's (but there is a bias switch where you can change to EL34's (grumble grumble)), 5 12AX7's and 3 5U4's. Still, it's really expensive (both to buy, and then to change the tubes in. What I am saying, is the Mode Four will be way cheaper to own, and more reliable, and I'm sure it will sound fine! And 350W won't be really, really loud, because it has the solid state bit.

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

even of the cost, id perfer mesa over marshall anyday, i believe the triple rec has like 14 tubes, imagine how good it would sound? so who cares about price wen its the exact sound ur looking for.

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

"imagine how good it would sound?"
You shouldn't have to say that. Go and try one.

Ok, and here is an answer to an old question:
A couple of months ago some one was asking what the "Rectifier" in Triple Rectifier meant. You were told that it is an AC/DC converter which is right, but the point of a tube rectifier is: when you have a lot of signal going through (playing loudly) the rectifer tubes, (ok, I can't remember this part), and it becomes distorted more easily. So it's like a 3rd thing affects the amount of distortion (the others being preamp distortion and power amp distortion).

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

ive played on the Dual rectifier, that sounded bloody awesome, the triple is practically the same just 50 more watts, and they only have a $300 price difference so ill save and extra $300 and get an extra 50 watts.