where have all the fancy amps gone

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

shed
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

where have all the fancy amps gone

Post by shed »

seems like there are very few classy amps - boutique, handwired mainstream - amps going for sale in recent times. I've managed to collect a bunch over the years but hardly ever see anything popping up these days. What's with the amp hogging or am I looking in the wrong places?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Re: where have all the fancy amps gone

Post by robthemac »

shed wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:43 pm seems like there are very few classy amps - boutique, handwired mainstream - amps going for sale in recent times. I've managed to collect a bunch over the years but hardly ever see anything popping up these days. What's with the amp hogging or am I looking in the wrong places?
Check Conway's stable. Coupla Morgan heads. Also a few forum-built amps sold recently. And an Amplified Nation head on TradeMe last week.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

Was it about the same time Molly moved back to the UK by chance?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

shed wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:43 pm seems like there are very few classy amps - boutique, handwired mainstream - amps going for sale in recent times. I've managed to collect a bunch over the years but hardly ever see anything popping up these days. What's with the amp hogging or am I looking in the wrong places?
Welcome.

I am totally hogging. But probably let go of 60% of them. Like the Morgan AC20 Deluxe. Some people love them. Not me. Or a Sampson era Matchless Brave…huge sound, too much for me.

And we’re lucky to have Conway; he does have a great range.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Looks across living room… yeh ..where could they be

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 335 times
Been liked: 212 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I miss The Amp Shop.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I think that murphys law applies here: they only turn up when you have either just bought something else or you dont have any money. Speaking personally my amp hunt is over and I have divested myself of all electrics and only have one supro amp left to sell. Down to one acoustic now which means I might be tempted to learn to actually play it properly.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

I think theres a combination of things, people are tightening their belts so not buying, prices have gone up a ton so less new stuff is coming in and being purchased, people who have them aren't able to sell cause of others belt tightening so probably hoarding until things improve, and more and more people are moving to digital modelling rigs so they can have all those boutique amps in one box for a fraction of the cost.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

vinylguy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:03 am
I think that murphys law applies here: they only turn up when you have either just bought something else or you dont have any money. Speaking personally my amp hunt is over and I have divested myself of all electrics and only have one supro amp left to sell. Down to one acoustic now which means I might be tempted to learn to actually play it properly.
Gotta ask... what's the one acoustic you kept?

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Well ok thats only slightly true. As we are moving to Melbourne i am only taking one with me. If my Davy Stuart ever gets finished it will be that one, if not it will be my 2017 00-28. My 2 old Guilds (a 1964 M20 and 1969 F30 are both staying here). The M20 will be in storage and my plan is to get Davy to restore/repair/return to decent condition the F30, while we are away. If that was done before either of us died that would be nice...

shednz
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by shednz »

Oh yes The Amp Shop was a great loss and wasn't there a store in Wellington that stocked Victoria amps?

Amps (and guitars) sure have got expensive so fewer probably coming in and NZ mainstream music shops selections can be pretty bland. Might have to moved to an era of commissioned builds.

This lament probably prompted by moving too slow on the Mike C deluxe reverb that was on here recently when I've been after one for a while. 🙄

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I do wonder if people are also starting to realise that some of these expensive amps really aren't "all that" anyway, you can build (or have built locally) just as good, if not better for way less.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:03 pm I do wonder if people are also starting to realise that some of these expensive amps really aren't "all that" anyway, you can build (or have built locally) just as good, if not better for way less.
There's been much discussion on Uncle Larry's YT channel (Homeskoolin', 501chorusecho) in the past about the Dr Zs, Bad Cats, et al that aren't selling in the stores in Nashville and who the poor bugger is, that is the last in the line, stuck with the price of said amp(s) and can't recoup. Perhaps the golden era of the boutique volume builder is in decline...much like the craft-beer sector experience of late in A/NZ :?:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I guess fancy amps and craft beer take a back seat when the general cost of living is horrendous.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Interesting - 65Amps did well for a while, but ultimately the market is fickle. Often there's a bloom in sales rising from some OTT reviews on YouTube etc, and them a steady decline.

When I purchased my RedPlate, that's what the builder told me. He had some reviews show up on TGP, nek minute he has 45 orders...which caused its own issues.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves