Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#840533
Fancy a Supro. Initially impressed by the Coronado out of the original re release lineup. Now there are so many of them I don't know what to look at.
Saturn appeals as I'm a sucker for a 5u4 rectifier. Don't want variable power, do want reverb and trem.
Any suggestions???
User avatar
BY AiRdAd
#840535
Grant has got one he loves. Also isn't the black magic one supposed to be good?
User avatar
BY GrantB
#840542
There is a single ended 10" speaker version that comes with trem that I really rate.... Rockshop Auckland used to have one. No master Volume which is an issue for me, but otherwise the perfect Supro tone in a small package. The big 12" versions are freaking loud.
User avatar
BY Scooter13
#840605
I've tried the old Dual tone, which I suppose is now the Black Magick, both being based off the Jimmy Page 1x12 mod? It was really really good. You could crank it right up and it never was too loud, just more awesome.
User avatar
BY Kris
#840608
jeremyb wrote:kdawg2a has the 1x15 35W thunderbolt, sounds freakin amazing!!


can totally agree,would hoon with enthusiasm
User avatar
BY kdawg2a
#840616
Kris wrote:
jeremyb wrote:kdawg2a has the 1x15 35W thunderbolt, sounds freakin amazing!!


can totally agree,would hoon with enthusiasm

It's a great amp but it's 40 watts so it only really does LOUD!
User avatar
BY SimonHirst
#840640
+1 on whatever GrantB’s one is. I’m not often blown away by new amps but that one is an absolute beast. Not much clean happening but if you want tube-frying rock’n’roll then I’d recommend at least trying one out if possible :thumbup:
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#840641
GrantB wrote:There is a single ended 10" speaker version that comes with trem that I really rate.... Rockshop Auckland used to have one. No master Volume which is an issue for me, but otherwise the perfect Supro tone in a small package. The big 12" versions are freaking loud.


Comet perchance? Which do you have yourself?
User avatar
BY GrantB
#840701
Yes, the Comet. I loved that thing but I need more flexibility over the volume. I have the 1605R. It would be nicer if it had a 10" speaker. I'm working on that.
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#840705
GrantB wrote:Yes, the Comet. I loved that thing but I need more flexibility over the volume. I have the 1605R. It would be nicer if it had a 10" speaker. I'm working on that.


Ok I'll have to see if I can get one down here to try ( when they're back in stock again ).
I 'm a bit hesitant with low powered amps. Experience has repeatedly shown me that a big iron 100 watter even at whisper volumes just sounds so much fuller than a low watt amp so I always anticipate disappointment at the prospect of anything under 50 watts. Thankfully that nice Mr Fryette made the Power Station...
User avatar
BY GrantB
#840706
Go big then...Supro have good options in the higher power end of things. Although even the 50 watters don't have a lot of head room... they kinda compress and crunch early ish
User avatar
BY Molly
#840955
There's a Supro review in the latest edition of Guitarist. I don't have it though. £6.25 and there really wasn't much of interest apart from a short Rory Gallagher style file.

I'm sure the Supro video will be on their YT channel though.
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#841000
Might have curbed the urge with the JTm45 I've just picked up, not that they're the same animal but I can achieve a similar ballpark result. We'll see if Gas returns.