Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY Bg
#840007
Handles finally turned up, been in Auckland since last thursday but only arrived in my office yesterday afternoon. WTF?

So here you go, it has some special features that Mike probably needs to talk about, but its my standard knotty pine cab with dovetail joints. Genuwhine tweed which is tinted and finished in Bullseye Shellac. Speaker is a Warehouse G12Q.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
BY Bg
#840012
Does yours have the variable voltage scaling? That seems to work quite well - just had a very quick play to test its still working after putting everything together.
User avatar
BY Conway
#840014
Bg wrote:Does yours have the variable voltage scaling? That seems to work quite well - just had a very quick play to test its still working after putting everything together.

Yep, it does. And the mini toggle between Tone and Volume to reduce gain.
User avatar
BY Bg
#840015
Conway wrote:
Bg wrote:Does yours have the variable voltage scaling? That seems to work quite well - just had a very quick play to test its still working after putting everything together.

Yep, it does. And the mini toggle between Tone and Volume to reduce gain.


Your neighbours will be happy(er) ;)
User avatar
BY Conway
#840016
Bg wrote:
Conway wrote:
Bg wrote:Does yours have the variable voltage scaling? That seems to work quite well - just had a very quick play to test its still working after putting everything together.

Yep, it does. And the mini toggle between Tone and Volume to reduce gain.


Your neighbours will be happy(er) ;)

There has been a truce for some months now...
User avatar
BY Bg
#840017
Mine still haven't figured out the bell push by the security gate is not connected to anything :)
User avatar
BY Mike Clayton
#840028
codedog wrote:That looks EPIC!

What's the variable voltage scaling thing?

The amp's B+ (high voltage DC) can be varied with a knob on the faceplate from about 80V up to the max (around 375V on these amps). It works like a master volume except better as all the gain stages in the amp, the PI & the power tubes continue to do their "thing" (distortion/compression). So nice breakup/power-tube distortion at controllable volume. To my knowledge you can only use "global" power scaling on totally cathode-biased amps like the 5E3. But it can be used on the pre-amp section & PI of a fixed bias amp (e.g. Deluxe Reverb) but I've never tried it.
User avatar
BY Mike Clayton
#840030
k1w1 wrote:Oh my, that is a real nice job guys. That wiring looks super tidy Mike, and the cabinet WOW. Can't wait to get my hands on it :clap:

I really hope you enjoy it Laurie. And you can sit and rest your leg on it when you're tired of playing through it (or do both at the same time) :mrgreen: