Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY Reg18
#837330
After 2 days with the HX Stomp I’ve realised it takes a lot of tweaking to get it sounding great.
Some presets sound ok straight out of the box but fine tuning input gain, compression level and those bias controls really helps get the last 5% dialed in. Theres still a slightly strange vibe playing it but I expect that’s just the sound of a miced amp rather than actually standing in a room with the amp.

Did a quick demo of the preset I’ve set up for tomorrow mornings set, no doubt once o here it in the mix I’ll need to tweak some things as well.
How many people are using HX Stomps for direct in?
#837334
I'm using it for direct in. Really don't have the time for tweaking that's why I pay and buy presets because other people have spent lots of time with the tweaking! What do you use at home for the output? active monitors or headphones?
#837335
KNNZ wrote:I'm using it for direct in. Really don't have the time for tweaking that's why I pay and buy presets because other people have spent lots of time with the tweaking! What do you use at home for the output? active monitors or headphones?

Just my Shure 215s at the moment as that’s what I’ll be listening through on Sunday mornings. I’m
Hoping the headphone out put will be the same sound as out of L&R or I just spent the afternoon tweaking for nothing!

I bought 1 of Alex S presets (from your recommendation) which is great and I may still use it tomorrow if mine turns out to be rubbish.
#837342
KNNZ wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but surely what you hear in your IEM would sound different to some degree when coming out of big speakers/drivers in a large venue?

Yeah you could be right, I’ll just keep that downloaded preset handy for tomorrow in case I’ve dialed it in completely wrong! How do you listen to yours?
#837349
Reg18 wrote:
KNNZ wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but surely what you hear in your IEM would sound different to some degree when coming out of big speakers/drivers in a large venue?

Yeah you could be right, I’ll just keep that downloaded preset handy for tomorrow in case I’ve dialed it in completely wrong! How do you listen to yours?


I have Alto TS212 active speakers at home and they sound much better than when I listen through my IEMs
#837362
Reg18 wrote:Yeah you could be right, I’ll just keep that downloaded preset handy for tomorrow in case I’ve dialed it in completely wrong! How do you listen to yours?


I've found the presets I use the most in a live situation sound pretty dark when I'm at home using headphones, but once they're cranked loud through a speaker they sound great.
#837366
Lyle wrote:
Reg18 wrote:Yeah you could be right, I’ll just keep that downloaded preset handy for tomorrow in case I’ve dialed it in completely wrong! How do you listen to yours?


I've found the presets I use the most in a live situation sound pretty dark when I'm at home using headphones, but once they're cranked loud through a speaker they sound great.

Interesting, so it may have to much treble. Because I’m playing with IEMs live and essentially don’t hear what everyone hears coming out the front does that mean what I’m listening to (what you here on the video) is what it will actually sound like to me though?
#837367
one way to find out is either get someone to play your guitar and you stand out the front or just use a ditto looper and loop your playing and then stand out to hear what everyone is hearing from the speakers
#837376
You were all right! The AC30 preset I downloaded was the best and mine had to much high end. The AC30 preset sounded dull in the headphones but perfect in the mix!
Attachments
350E5C47-5209-48F1-9A6C-56BE9E412818.jpeg
350E5C47-5209-48F1-9A6C-56BE9E412818.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 353 times
#837407
Kiwiaxe wrote:What’s the best source of HX stomp presets? I’ve had trouble dialling some in too


The one I downloaded was specifically for the church stuff I play so most likely not helpful. I was surprised at how much the Bias and Bias X controls had on the amps, if you wind them up it cleans up the amp a lot but gives you less dynamics so it’s good for fine tuning things.
#837411
Kiwiaxe wrote:What’s the best source of HX stomp presets? I’ve had trouble dialling some in too


I would think from your favourite toaster preset sellers. M Britt et al?
The only tones I've bought are the bassics pack. Just to get an idea how someone dials those in - hasn't helped, why 3 eq's? WHY!!!!!