Barefaced Audio Cabinets

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 738 times
Been liked: 511 times

Re: Barefaced Audio Cabinets

Post by Zaulkin »

Wow... I want to try one!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Just wondering if this animation will post:

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Molly wrote:They charge a 'nominal' customization fee of $100 for specifying 16 ohm over the standard 8.
Translation "We order a bulk lot of 8 ohm on cheap freight, we have to order in and courier in the 16 ohm so we don't get the bulk discount and the cheap transport". I am guessing there but seems consistent with the type of charge suppliers and organisations I have worked for use.
Tin arse!!

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

While I'm hugely impressed with the virtually perfect sound distribution delivered by these boxes I can't help but wonder how they would perform in a stage situation where some degree of isolation is called for by the front of house guys to achieve a servicable mix. The perspex screen approach favoured by some of todays louder guitarists would require placements on all sides at which point a conventional cab might serve better. Is this going to turn out long term to be another case of "well it sounded fantastic in the store , but....."?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

It does seem to be more for the shitty pub gig and basic practice space market than a decent stage set up. The kind of places where there's only a vocal PA and no foldback unless you bring it with you.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

All I can say is:-
Molly, for King & Country - do your duty & buy one to evaluate and take measurements for us :D
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Ive been talking to Alex at Barefaced about matching speaker to my head and what I want out of it, been very helpful and just about to push the button on ordering a cab - exciting

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

I just ordered the 1x12. Went with all the standard options (8 ohm V30) to keep the price down. There's always time to experiment with other speakers down the line. Interested to compare it with my near identically sized Friedman 1x12.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Molly wrote:I just ordered the 1x12. Went with all the standard options (8 ohm V30) to keep the price down. There's always time to experiment with other speakers down the line. Interested to compare it with my near identically sized Friedman 1x12.
So what amp/s are you going to run this with?

Im running a Marshall Origin 20 head clean with pedals, mainly overdrive, and modulation in effects loop, low to medium volumes and for the life of me I cant decide what speaker to get, tending towards G12H(75) or Alnico Cream, looking for tight bottom ;) warm to pushy mids, clear but not ice pick top end - uuuuugh research, youtube, reviews, history haha

Ive not been one to get into speakers until now, any tips ladies and gents?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Dharmajester wrote:While I'm hugely impressed with the virtually perfect sound distribution delivered by these boxes I can't help but wonder how they would perform in a stage situation where some degree of isolation is called for by the front of house guys to achieve a servicable mix. The perspex screen approach favoured by some of todays louder guitarists would require placements on all sides at which point a conventional cab might serve better. Is this going to turn out long term to be another case of "well it sounded fantastic in the store , but....."?
No, I think this is good for just about any gig.
The thing about tradition cabs is that they are really directional, so you tend to blast someone - yourself, the crowd, the sound guy, the singer or a combination of all of the above.
This seems to spread out the sound so it's less IN YOUR FACE, which probably means you can turn it down a bit. I'd rather like to try it

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

MakoGat wrote:
Molly wrote:I just ordered the 1x12. Went with all the standard options (8 ohm V30) to keep the price down. There's always time to experiment with other speakers down the line. Interested to compare it with my near identically sized Friedman 1x12.
So what amp/s are you going to run this with?

Im running a Marshall Origin 20 head clean with pedals, mainly overdrive, and modulation in effects loop, low to medium volumes and for the life of me I cant decide what speaker to get, tending towards G12H(75) or Alnico Cream, looking for tight bottom ;) warm to pushy mids, clear but not ice pick top end - uuuuugh research, youtube, reviews, history haha

Ive not been one to get into speakers until now, any tips ladies and gents?
My 2c.
I play a Friedman 20watt (in the marshall camp too)
My current main cab is a 412 with Greenbacks and G12t75's (ex BG) and its glorious.
But I think either of those speakers by themselves in a 112 will show their shortcomings to an extent.
The greenback has a beautiful woody sound with a nice midrange but can lack tightness, the 12t75 makes up for that.
I like v30s . Super tight, articulate with a massive bottom end. If you have an eq in the loop you can tame the mid spike a bit with a cut between 1 and 2k. But they are a bright speaker!
A sleeper speaker is the Eminence GB128. Theyre on TM. Theyre supposed to be a higher powered greenback clone. They're pretty tight, real nice midrange and articulate with a laid back high end. Awesome for rock.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

I'll be running a Kemper through it.

Just contacted Zilla about collecting some speakers next week. A G12 65 Heritage and a V-Type. Between those two the V30 and the couple of others back home I'll have a few options.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:I'll be running a Kemper through it.
It had to happen sooner or later....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Molly wrote:I'll be running a Kemper through it.
It had to happen sooner or later....
Been on the cards a while as it 'appens. Do hesitate to hit the 'confirm' button, mind. Spendy thing that it is.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

ah well, you can always use it for toasting your bread.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.