Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Scooter13
Lots of amps are designed with a speaker that they are likely to be sold with or are what's on the designers bench. e.g.Orange amps and V30s.
Then people end up using the head with a different brand cab and wonder why things dont sound right.
BY Single coil
No way - is that the old laney slant I used to have?
Front grille thing rattle canned white?
BY Bg
Scooter13 wrote:Lots of amps are designed with a speaker that they are likely to be sold with or are what's on the designers bench. e.g.Orange amps and V30s.
Then people end up using the head with a different brand cab and wonder why things dont sound right.

I suspect most of it still comes down to material cost. The marshall cab was designed around the standard sheet of plywood. Having looked at most modern cab designs, I'd say thats more the case than speaker considerations.
BY JHorner
Single coil wrote:No way - is that the old laney slant I used to have?
Front grille thing rattle canned white?

Yes.

It does the business.

And stands up to atrocious treatment.

Starting to rust and needs another spray. Will probably go for black or grey.
BY el byrdo
I have borrowed a VOX celestion blue 2x12 cab from the 60s. It is absolutely gorgeous.

GOing to try it out with the jansen and some new preamp tubes. Hopefully the tremolo works this time because it's fucking lush.
BY Single coil
JHorner wrote:Yes.

It does the business.

And stands up to atrocious treatment.

Starting to rust and needs another spray. Will probably go for black or grey.

Ugh awesome. Funny though I used hammerite hah. Matte black go
BY willow13
JHorner wrote:
Single coil wrote:I like invaders :shifty:

I've become quite partial to them myself.

yeah I quite liked the ones I had in my laney quad..yes they are bright as shit but I prefer to dial out bright over trying to find bright. kind of wish I still had a couple to pair with my celestion 85's ... I think it would sound phenomenal
BY Single coil
Yip - if you have too much, you can make some go away.
If you don’t have enough, you can’t magic it up.
BY goldtop0
The speaker is the voice of the amp...........if an amp sounds half way good then put a speaker in that floats your boat and see if that does more for you.
A case in point being a Princeton Reverb 1x12 that I bought earlier this year, it came with a Cannabis Rex and sounded a tad mushy and not together sonically so I played around with various celestions that I have and finally ended up with an old 74 1772 in there that keeps everything purring really well with virtually no bottom end farting or flaping out at high volume.........I don't play at high volume usually but always test out amps to find their capabilities........same with speakers.
It's horses for courses, so if you've got spare speakers around the place try them out in your combos and cabs rather than settle for the stock item.
BY el byrdo
Jensen pm12c with a celestion gold together in a holden cab...
BY calling card
Do speaker magnets get stronger or weaker with age?
BY Terexgeek
calling card wrote:Do speaker magnets get stronger or weaker with age?

Weaker, the Alnico magnets weaken faster, ceramic slower and the Neodymium slower still.
BY goldtop0
Terexgeek wrote:
calling card wrote:Do speaker magnets get stronger or weaker with age?

Weaker, the Alnico magnets weaken faster, ceramic slower and the Neodymium slower still.

What's the life of an alnico then do you reckon?
BY sizzlingbadger
100’s of years unless you apply lots of heat, shock or external magnetic fields.