Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Dharmajester
Grant's 1/3 analogy is no understatement. The cabinet is another factor as the speaker's performance is heavily influenced by it's enclosure. This is where it gets expensive, matching speakers with cabs/ amps / guitars. I'm a big EV fan. Put in the design specific Thiel cab they go from great to steller. Finding an amp head that looks cool sat on top of the box though?????
Love to hear a Ruby although I'm very happy with the Alnico Creamback.
BY godgrinder
jeremyb wrote:On the subject of Celestion, does anyone else think that Eminence makes a better Celestion than Celestion does?

They make speakers for people who haven't lost the treble range of their hearing yet. :rofl: But due to that even their UK-voiced speakers have a different characteristic than Celestions.
BY el byrdo
GrantB wrote:
el byrdo wrote:Good news! I might be able to buy back the Goodmans 12ax I foolishly sold ages ago.

these thngs are absolute beasts - like a JBL on steroids, - 100 conservative alnico watts - I'm going to pair it with a Celestion Gold in my vertical Holden cabinet. It should be just the right combination of loud and bright to suit the Jansen 6/40 (which is actually 55 watts!).

Good Lord man...space/time considerations please!

What do you mean>?
BY TmcB
Litterick wrote:A 200 watt EV-12 in a 22 watt Fender amp is a gravitationally distortive thing.
BY calling card
Since Alnico is the speaker theme here. I have only one in a Jensen 12" in the 5E3. I'll always remember how it behaved from new, at times the cab shuddering under bass as if to tear it's self apart. Beautiful treble sing and every thing in between.
It smoothed out nicely in time in regard to the bass handling, maybe the cone was a bit stiff and the magnet not quite tracking with it.
Makes me think how they are part of the tweed sound with that floating flimsy board and how the speaker and it react. That distressed sound, love it.
Low efficiency speaker is right for guitar but then again depends on your style.
BY Single coil
Sorta like cars really ... the less efficient a motor is, the better it seems to sound.

But as we all know tone is subjective :mrgreen:
BY calling card
Drive train maybe, skinny wheels & going sideways... anyway music :)
BY GrantB
el byrdo wrote:
GrantB wrote:
el byrdo wrote:Good news! I might be able to buy back the Goodmans 12ax I foolishly sold ages ago.

these thngs are absolute beasts - like a JBL on steroids, - 100 conservative alnico watts - I'm going to pair it with a Celestion Gold in my vertical Holden cabinet. It should be just the right combination of loud and bright to suit the Jansen 6/40 (which is actually 55 watts!).

What do you mean>?

Gigantic 100W+ AlNiCo speaker...of doom...tearing fabric of time/space? Etc?

Seemed funny at the time.....space.
BY calling card
The delicate scream of tinnitus...space
BY el byrdo
GrantB wrote:
el byrdo wrote:
GrantB wrote:

What do you mean>?

Gigantic 100W+ AlNiCo speaker...of doom...tearing fabric of time/space? Etc?

Seemed funny at the time.....space.

AHH yeah I get you. lol. You're right, this thing definitely bends the space time continuum. Interestingly enough it can handle the triumph 60 at full noise going into massive output distortion.. that might be what screwed the triumph :lol: but yeah 60 tube watts fully distorted isn't enough to distort this speaker at all. It'll be perfect for the jansen, and hopefully a good match with the gold.
BY Reg18
That Ruby Alnico looks really interesting.
My current cab has a Celestion Gold which I love but 35watts seems like a great middle ground.
BY willow13
Single coil wrote:Sorta like cars really ... the less efficient a motor is, the better it seems to sound.

But as we all know tone is subjective :mrgreen:

yeah exactly. The "problem" with speakers is it is a shit ton harder to isolate "what you like" than it is with guitars and amps. For me it is far easier to describe the characteristics of an amp or a guitar than it is a speaker in terms of "tone and feel" ... I have dipped my toe into the rabbit hole of speakers, but some of the speakers that "in theory" should be perfect for what I like turned out to be anything but that.....so I ran....as fast as I could :rofl: