Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY olegmcnoleg
null_pointer wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Slowy wrote: Mk 1 Boogie?

Ah, did you see that Princetonish listing Codedog had up--my old amp...a Princeton with 6L6s. I think he has sold it now, but it solves that problem exactly.

Aah - so I need a vintage rather than a reissue it seems...

I should have been clearer, you need the 6L6s :-)
BY null_pointer
olegmcnoleg wrote:
null_pointer wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Ah, did you see that Princetonish listing Codedog had up--my old amp...a Princeton with 6L6s. I think he has sold it now, but it solves that problem exactly.

Blasphemy! That would make it an under-powered Deluxe!

Hmm....
BY WellyBlues
Bg wrote:
JHorner wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
Surely someone can think up a more original joke to make :wink:

What happens when AX9?

Why would they add another button? :P

A Helix emulation mode?
BY olegmcnoleg
null_pointer wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
null_pointer wrote:

Blasphemy! That would make it an under-powered Deluxe!

Hmm....

The result is really pleasing...Princeton tone but with more headroom. Needs a bigger O/P transformer as well.
BY GrantB
I dunno where I would need more volume in terms of stage sound regarding the Princeton - just mic it up and bam. A Princeton with a Swart Nightlight Jr is great gigging option for small-medium gigs I reckon. I like the 10" speaker too...for all the reasons of the other thread.
BY Capt. Black
For me... Marshall Super Bass head coupled with G12H 4x12 and Jansen IA715 Head (6L6 version) with vintage Goodmans Alnico 2x12.

Never a dull moment with either of these rigs.
BY Kiwiaxe
I can’t see myself ever selling my early years Mesa Boogie Mk IVa combo (imbuya wood, wicker grill). I’d say it’s loud as fuck but that would be a serious understatement.
BY willow13
For me I would actually have to turn my amps on to say if something is a "forever" thing :mental:

The Katana absolutely rules, as does the EVH but honestly if something happened that meant I had to get rid of them then meh so be it. But then I have always been more attached to guitars than the thing that makes them louder :rofl:
BY sizzlingbadger
slash-ed wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:After seeing the shitty build inside the London Pro (double sided tape holding in relays), and its poor power scaling design (Which I managed a partial fix) I was put off owning any more of their amps. Maybe it was just that one though :cry:

My Friedman DS Mini is definitely up there as one of the best amps I have ever owned.

Really interested in this comment Nik, as a previous London Pro owner (but complete electrical/tronics novice).

What was wrong with the power scaling design? Anecdotally, when I had mine I never felt like it completely worked as hyped or advertised. Always felt "choked" when bringing it back to usable volumes.

Also assume you've opened up the DS Mini, and you find it to be acceptable (although non-handwired and bla bla)?

The power scaling reduced the entire HT line, this screwed the bias on the input tube so that you ended up with DC on the (grid) input of the amp. DC in your guitar makes the pots sound scratchy and could maybe even damage some pedals. I put a cap (4) on the input to the 12AX7 to block the DC.

The amp was built using good quality components, but then they stuck a PCB mount relay to the chassis with double-sided tape (3). They had another couple of relay's actually mounted on a PCB which was screwed to the turret board. This PCB had resistors mounted on it but only by one end (2) instead of both ends of the resistor going through the board for security. There was a small disc capacitor (1) that wasn't doing anything as it was soldered between ground & ground. It was just messy too, I did wonder if it was prototype that escaped into the wild.

The DS Mini is built very well, the PCB and its layout is more like a turret board but with copper tracks instead of wires. Tube sockets and pots are mounted to the chassis etc.

BY godgrinder
sizzlingbadger wrote:After seeing the shitty build inside the London Pro (double sided tape holding in relays), and its poor power scaling design (Which I managed a partial fix) I was put off owning any more of their amps. Maybe it was just that one though :cry:

My Friedman DS Mini is definitely up there as one of the best amps I have ever owned.

Weren't these 2 built at the same factory? Or was your 65 a pre-OEM one?
BY GrantB
Here is another London Pro

BY jeremyb
I actually reckon I'll hang onto the THR forever, it's just bloody brilliant, even sounds great with my bass!