Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY null_pointer
Haven’t met the forever amp yet. I think I’d need to consolidate what I want to play to a more narrow field before I can land there I suspect. I know I need an AC-derived amp at the least (Matchless, Badcat, etc), and I would *like* a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels in the nose.
Other than that, still on the journey!
BY Slowy
null_pointer wrote:... a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels .....

Mk 1 Boogie?
BY GrantB
null_pointer wrote:Haven’t met the forever amp yet. I think I’d need to consolidate what I want to play to a more narrow field before I can land there I suspect. I know I need an AC-derived amp at the least (Matchless, Badcat, etc), and I would *like* a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels in the nose.

How high gain are you talking? Olde school Prnceton's don't flub on full...with the right sort of speaker. I think the new ones tend to want to stay cleaner longer and that might be some of the issue?
BY StratMatt
slash-ed wrote:Also, just to be a dick (but to also participate in the thread), my forever amp is my Fractal AX8 lmao

Surely you mean Boss GT-1000? :wink:
BY null_pointer
GrantB wrote:
null_pointer wrote:Haven’t met the forever amp yet. I think I’d need to consolidate what I want to play to a more narrow field before I can land there I suspect. I know I need an AC-derived amp at the least (Matchless, Badcat, etc), and I would *like* a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels in the nose.

How high gain are you talking? Olde school Prnceton's don't flub on full...with the right sort of speaker. I think the new ones tend to want to stay cleaner longer and that might be some of the issue?

I’ve had a couple (reissues, the 65 and the 68), with the 65 having a Mercury Magnetics OT upgrade and a Celestion Gold. I found over about 3 1/2 on the volume if I hit it with my usual level of gain from pedals it blurs out. Not high gain, more level jump from the pedals. Which is a shame as I loooove the clean.
BY GrantB
null_pointer wrote:I’ve had a couple (reissues, the 65 and the 68), with the 65 having a Mercury Magnetics OT upgrade and a Celestion Gold. I found over about 3 1/2 on the volume if I hit it with my usual level of gain from pedals it blurs out. Not high gain, more level jump from the pedals. Which is a shame as I loooove the clean.

So the compression is too much? Next TronFest (which is overdue) I'll bring my vintage one...I think it does what you want...lifts up with clarity, but I do find you need to lower the gain on pedals a tad than say vs a big bottle Marshall clean.
BY mrmofo
forever foreverever:

the trusty Marshall Mk 3. made for one year. huge amount of tones from a single channel amp, super simple circuit. misunderstood by most. no its not the dual reverb.
BY vintage52
jeremyb wrote:Boss Katana 50W, the boutique toob guys are still playing catch up!

Have to say I'm enjoying my 100 quite a lot.
BY olegmcnoleg
Slowy wrote:
null_pointer wrote:... a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels .....

Mk 1 Boogie?

Ah, did you see that Princetonish listing Codedog had up--my old amp...a Princeton with 6L6s. I think he has sold it now, but it solves that problem exactly.
BY robnobcorncob
I've had this Bogner Mojado head for 10 years now... and during that time I've also owned (And sold) a Soldano, AC30, Rivera, Tamerlane, Wolverton, a Boogie Mk. 3 and countless others. It has no master and no practical EQ (although the Schizo switch does change the voicing nicely) but just sounds great. My recently acquired '65 Bandmaster is also in the "forever" camp however but is very different, in the best possible way.

BY null_pointer
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Slowy wrote:

Mk 1 Boogie?

Ah, did you see that Princetonish listing Codedog had up--my old amp...a Princeton with 6L6s. I think he has sold it now, but it solves that problem exactly.

Aah - so I need a vintage rather than a reissue it seems...
BY slash-ed
StratMatt wrote:
slash-ed wrote:Also, just to be a dick (but to also participate in the thread), my forever amp is my Fractal AX8 lmao

Surely someone can think up a more original joke to make :wink:
BY calling card
Most of them, 5E8-A(low power twin), just beautiful, seems to get louder with age, has twin Jensen ceramics, ought to change to alnico.
5E3 little punk amp, most usable :) Both these being Ryan builds.

Marshalls, the Ceriatone 800 head and another Ryan piece as a JMP50 clone circa 1968, housed in a Haze 40 shell.
Last edited by calling card on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BY JHorner
slash-ed wrote:
StratMatt wrote:

What happens when AX9?
BY Bg
JHorner wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
StratMatt wrote:

What happens when AX9?

Why would they add another button? :P