Any "forever" amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Any "forever" amps?

Post by codedog »

Unless it breaks down, or support is discontinued, my AX8 is probably "it". Whether that's an "amp" is arguable I guess...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote:Unless it breaks down, or support is discontinued, my AX8 is probably "it". Whether that's an "amp" is arguable I guess...
same with my helix, it's everything I need in a black box. I won't say forever, as I thought that about my Pod 2.0 about 16 years ago....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote:
codedog wrote:Unless it breaks down, or support is discontinued, my AX8 is probably "it". Whether that's an "amp" is arguable I guess...
same with my helix, it's everything I need in a black box. I won't say forever, as I thought that about my Pod 2.0 about 16 years ago....
Perhaps "forever" also has a different definition in the digital world?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

After being a Fender/Marshall guy for a long time, I made an impulse purchase of a Mesa Rectoverb 50W combo a few years back. Series 2, quite old (and a bit beat-up) now but all stock parts.

This thing has absolutely blown me away. I am playing clean 99% of the time, and the definition and clarity it puts out is spectacular. Not quite as sparkly as some Fenders, but it doesn't have that glassy/piercing sound either. Reverb is subtle, but adds a lot to the sound.

It's quite funny listening to spectacular jazz tones come out of an amp that looks like it belongs in a mid-2000's pop-punk video.

Also, it's definitely a forever amp because it's too damn heavy to move.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote:
Bg wrote:
Perhaps "forever" also has a different definition in the digital world?
yep, forever until the next iteration ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

robthemac wrote:After being a Fender/Marshall guy for a long time, I made an impulse purchase of a Mesa Rectoverb 50W combo a few years back. Series 2, quite old (and a bit beat-up) now but all stock parts.

This thing has absolutely blown me away. I am playing clean 99% of the time, and the definition and clarity it puts out is spectacular. Not quite as sparkly as some Fenders, but it doesn't have that glassy/piercing sound either. Reverb is subtle, but adds a lot to the sound.

It's quite funny listening to spectacular jazz tones come out of an amp that looks like it belongs in a mid-2000's pop-punk video.

Also, it's definitely a forever amp because it's too damn heavy to move.
Absolutely killer and often overlooked amp. One of my all time favs over the years.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

GrantB wrote:I need to have another fang on a Katana.
All Katanas are relatively great, but be sure to try either the Katana Artist or the Katana Head with a top quality cab to really get to understand it.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

handsoffmatt wrote: Absolutely killer and often overlooked amp. One of my all time favs over the years.
Any other over-looked amps in your opinion? Roland Jazz Chorus for me.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

My Marshall 1974X is the amp I play all the time and sometimes with an Xotic EP Booster on the floor.
Put an old Celestion T1088 alnico in it recently which gives a lovely early breakup at 2 on the dial..........can't be beat!!
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

goldtop0 wrote:My Marshall 1974X is the amp I play all the time and sometimes with an Xotic EP Booster on the floor.
Put an old Celestion T1088 alnico in it recently which gives a lovely early breakup at 2 on the dial..........can't be beat!!
There is something magical about the 18 watter. Going to reconstitute my 36 watt back to the smaller size when back from my hols.
Only decision is do I do it in a tweed cab, snakeskin or marshall tolex. Decisions decisions decisions.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

goldtop0 wrote:My Marshall 1974X is the amp I play all the time and sometimes with an Xotic EP Booster on the floor.

Funnily enough, that is my second favourite amp. I had the 2061x for a few years, didn't float my boat nearly as much.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

My tremoverb is the closest thing I've ever found to a forever amp; there's every sound in there somewhere, I just wish it didn't weigh so damned much.

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

Well I guess I'm way past fashionably late to this party but I'd definitely say my custom amp built by Ryan back in the day would fit the topic heading. The longer I've owned it the more I've found it gives me pretty much every sound I want at a volume that my family can live with. Seldom fails to bring a smile to my face.

For those who weren't around for the build threads and don't know what it is:

Preamp is 3x 12AX7, output is 2x 6V6, but it's cathode-biased and can take other output tubes e.g. 6L6, EL34 for more output. Rectifier is solid state. Output is around 15w clean/25w max with 6V6's, and around 23w clean/40w max with 6L6/EL34.

It's 2 channel in the same sense that the JCM800 2203/2204 is - the low input bypasses the first gain stage (and associated gain controls). The high input is 3 gain stages, voiced for 80's rock/metal and beyond; the low input is 2 gain stages, goes from Tweed Bassman type cleans to 70's Brit crunch. There's also a Jose mod to give gobs of gain at low volume along with a heap of bright, dark, and other tone shaping switches

Here's a clip of Ryan demoing it (pre final tweaks and tolexing) for Danger Mouse at a Tronfest many moons ago (Capt. Black did the filming)
https://youtu.be/suc-WB13ar0
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

robthemac wrote:
handsoffmatt wrote: Absolutely killer and often overlooked amp. One of my all time favs over the years.
Any other over-looked amps in your opinion? Roland Jazz Chorus for me.
Mmmm... I wouldn't call Roland JC overlooked. That amp already has "legendary" status, has been in constant production for 40 years, and has many an article written about it.

Other great/overlooked amps IMHO...

Laney VC-30
Crate Club Series amps from late 90's
Peavey Bandit - 1st Transtube version (silver stripe)
Tech 21 Trademark 60

Closely related to your original comment regarding the Rectoverb: I actually believe that the Mesa Dual Rectifier is pretty much the most misunderstood (misrepresented?) amp on the planet. Due to it's success as a metal amp, the DR has been very much pigeonholed in that category, though in my opinion it is one of the most versatile and musical amps on the planet for almost ANY style. The current "Multi-Watt" version of the Dual Rec is just straight up amazing. I reckon it's the amp I'd be gigging with if the BOSS Katana didn't exist and someone stole my SLO.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

handsoffmatt wrote: Due to it's success as a metal amp, the DR has been very much pigeonholed in that category,
That stamped metal face might have something to do with that.