Why you need a preamp pedal

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Why you need a preamp pedal

Post by JHorner »

TL;DW

Why do you need a preamp pedal?
Because I just made one and I want you to buy it, and David Evans used one once, but mostly you need one because I want your money.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I'm all for boosts, graphic equalisers, and a bit of dirt in front of an amp, so the preamp makes sense. It's just about shaping the sound.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

Ask Keith

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

My take on boost pedals - the first half of V1 is normally wired as a gainless clean input buffer. But with a big boost hitting V1 you can hit that first valve stage hard enough for it to compress or even dirt up.

With the first half of V1 now contributing to the "gainyness" of the tone you can run the later sections of the amp at a lower gain level, spreading the overall gain over one more stage for a hopefully better sound.

Course now im back to digital (Amplifire3) i just use my studio monitors now, zero valves :geek:

p.s most powerful boost i have encountered is the Klon - they run internally on 27 volts ( use both voltage doubling and inverting for +18v hot and -9v ground) resulting in a huge available output level.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil: