Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Jake
Picked it up this arvo, thought I'd share a couple of pics with you gents, sorry for the awful lighting.
Will need to source a speaker. Also missing the reverb unit which doesn't hugely bother me as I mainly use pedals, plus I have a tank I pulled out of an old Alron head... that's low on the priority list though.

Cursory inspection: blown fuse, everything else looks pretty sweet! No obvious scorch marks, or even much dust. Will buy a fuse tomorrow and go from there I guess. Tubes appear to be a pair of 6L6WXT+ and a pair of 6L6GC

Any suggestions for what speaker I should chuck in it? I know there are a couple for sale
BY el byrdo
WOW cool. No tube sag here! cleans for days. you're going to need like 300w of power handling out of your speaker. Maybe one of the EV EVM12s that someone was selling? if that even has enough power handling...
BY Jake
el byrdo wrote:WOW cool. No tube sag here! cleans for days. you're going to need like 300w of power handling out of your speaker. Maybe one of the EV EVM12s that someone was selling? if that even has enough power handling...

I've been craving a bit more clean headroom since I rely on pedals for all my drive (since I have clean loops running) so this is going to be perfect :D
Neighbours won't be as stoked, 75w doesn't really class as bedroom practise volume...
BY el byrdo
Oh yeah they can run in half power mode eh? my old peavey triumph 60 had way too much headroom for me with a goodmans 12ax that was conservatively rated at 100w. Sounded like a pedal steel. In fact some slide on my first album sounds a lot like pedal steel. If you're only going to run it in 75w and not 130w that opens up a lot of options for speakers... but I'd want something that can take the full 130 if you want to go nuts and deaf at the same time... these were obviously built before the concept of micing up came about lol.
BY kwhelan
I've got one of those sitting here probably hasn't been turned on in 5 years but in great nick still and loud to be sure, what are they worth ? Im keen to get rid of it but damn its heavy so kinda f makes it a small market around here
BY Jake
kwhelan wrote:I've got one of those sitting here probably hasn't been turned on in 5 years but in great nick still and loud to be sure, what are they worth ? Im keen to get rid of it but damn its heavy so kinda f makes it a small market around here

Seems like anywhere from $500 to a bit over $1k from my brief research, others on here might have a better idea though

EDIT: What am I on about, there's a MK6 like mine listed on TM for $1200 , no bids though... https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 605855.htm
BY el byrdo
It won't sell either. Another case where price and value diverges massively.
BY sty
Wow, cool amp.

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but Craig (Terexgeek) bought one of those to an early Christchurch gearfest once and it's still probably the loudest guitar amp I've ever been in the same room as! I think I'm including the time Matt maxed a Plexi through a 4x12 in that as well.
BY Terexgeek
sty wrote:Wow, cool amp.

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but Craig (Terexgeek) bought one of those to an early Christchurch gearfest once and it's still probably the loudest guitar amp I've ever been in the same room as! I think I'm including the time Matt maxed a Plexi through a 4x12 in that as well.

I don't think it got much beyond 4 on the dial either! Mine was the SuperLead 75 with a 15 inch re-coned EV speaker. Value-wise it went to the Hawkes Bay in working condition for $300, oh well.
BY el byrdo
Yeah the market for nzmade stuff is kinda crazy. I got my jansen for 430 with cab locally. It's as good as a similar fender from 1963.
BY el byrdo
Jake wrote:
el byrdo wrote:https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/instruments/guitar-bass/guitar-amps/listing-1917722440.htm?rsqid=8ca075c273f54f10b98e698cdcd330cd

heres your speaker!

Currently plotting a deal with Danny :wink: thanks though! This is why I love this forum...

Yeah I remembered he had some after I posted it. Best to go for original non-reconed stuff too.