Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Hey y’all,

As per thread title. Looking at replacing the front grill material on my old Laney head, don’t need much material to cover it. Quite partial to what they use on some of the Mother amps...

http://www.custombycougar.com/2016/10/12/mother-amps/

Just wondering what the popular options are?
BY AiRdAd
There's some Fender tolex and grill cloth on trademe
Cheers. Forgot to ask, what kind of glue would work best? It’s going straight onto rimu.
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Cheers. Forgot to ask, what kind of glue would work best? It’s going straight onto rimu.

It's normally stapled isn't it?
jeremyb wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Cheers. Forgot to ask, what kind of glue would work best? It’s going straight onto rimu.

It's normally stapled isn't it?

Yeah often is. What’s on there now is obviously not what was on it originally, it’s just been glued on with no staples used anywhere

Should be an easy job to replace with a new one, just wanna make sure I use the right glue. Failing that I’ll have to find someone that has a good stapler, hmmm Steve Bartlett might let me use his in exchange for a nice bottle of red
BY mrmofo
back when Jansen were in Kyber Pass, they had a MEGA AWESOME SECRET stash of NOS fender grill cloth, and a bunch of other rolls.
they still may have a few yards.

I did my cab with an industrial table cloth from a catering supplyer, peeps cant tell the difference.
mrmofo wrote:I did my cab with an industrial table cloth from a catering supplyer, peeps cant tell the difference.

That did actually cross my mind, thought I could check out whether Spotlight have any far out designs 8)
Conway wrote:Image

That's exactly like what I'm after!
mrmofo wrote:I did my cab with an industrial table cloth from a catering supplyer, peeps cant tell the difference.

How well does that kind of material cut, was thinking I'd use a stanley knife but do I need to be concerned about the ends being all raggley?
BY Conway
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:

How well does that kind of material cut, was thinking I'd use a stanley knife but do I need to be concerned about the ends being all raggley?

That's why you have a baffle - to run the cloth around the edges and staple on the back, then trim, so you don't see all the mess.
Conway wrote:That's why you have a baffle - to run the cloth around the edges and staple on the back, then trim, so you don't see all the mess.

Yeah, that would be a lot easier. This is going onto a solid wooden front and there's no gaps to run the edges off into.
BY Bg
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:

Yes but a brand new blade.... or a scalpel.
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Conway wrote:That's why you have a baffle - to run the cloth around the edges and staple on the back, then trim, so you don't see all the mess.

Yeah, that would be a lot easier. This is going onto a solid wooden front and there's no gaps to run the edges off into.

The very reason God invented the belt sander.