Boss Nextone

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Boss Nextone

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:One of the things I didn't like about the Katana was its cheap feel. The Blues Cube was quite classy by comparison.
so by "cheap feel" you actually mean looks?
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

willow13 wrote:
Molly wrote:One of the things I didn't like about the Katana was its cheap feel. The Blues Cube was quite classy by comparison.
Yes. That's all really. Vinyl, corners, MDF etc. I think Matt went into some detail about how parts were integrated so it could be made more cheaply (when compared to the Blues Cube).

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

willow13 wrote:
Don’t know about Molly but I felt the wood/cabinet for the combo was not particularly great (MDF from memory but could be wrong), but then this is obviously reflected in the price. I’d rather have paid more and have a better quality build but I’m probably in the minority there.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Molly wrote:One of the things I didn't like about the Katana was its cheap feel. The Blues Cube was quite classy by comparison. If they take this new amp and put if in a fancy Tolex, marine birch ply box and double the price (preferably assembling in small numbers out of Butt-Fuck, Alabama) I'll definitely deign to try one. But if they're just going to make a great sounding amp at an affordable price again, well they can stick it up their bottom. :crazy:
Mmmm this kinda seems to fit between the katana and blues cube in a way, looks classier, hmmmm...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I've had the Nextone amps with me for the past few months and they're swiftly becoming my favourite amp that we make.

It's definitely meant to sit between Katana and Blues Cube in pretty much every aspect. No presets, just the meat and potatoes effects onboard - but compared to BC, it's got more versatile in terms of gain voicing and tonal versatility (BC does its specific thing - really well). The tone and feel definitely err towards a more old school vibe than the 80s rock of Katana (though I know that people use them for a lot more than that).
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Finally got around to making a little Nextone video of my own.

Simple and straightforward - just the 4 tones that I use the most on the amp. One mic and no post-EQ or effects added.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Danger Mouse wrote:Well it is just bloody awful comedy strat tones in that clip, so not sure which tube amp it's 99% of.
That's how I felt. Every tone was awful. Surely the amp can do better than that!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

edit: Ed's video was far better and the LP tones were nice. Once again I felt the strat tones were not for me.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

bbrunskill wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Well it is just bloody awful comedy strat tones in that clip, so not sure which tube amp it's 99% of.
That's how I felt. Every tone was awful. Surely the amp can do better than that!
any chance of an A/B test with a Line 6 Spider. the hype is almost comedic
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

My Katana experience was I didn't really like it in the room. Meh. But I thought seeing I had one I may as well play it out, and whatdya know it sounded bloody good coming through the PA. So I can only ascertain that something about the speaker to ear thing is the issue with them (for me). Because by the time it was piped through 5000 watts I thought it sounded every bit as good as the BadCat.
So I guess the reality is my problem with most of these types of things is how I feel and interact with it, not actually how it really sounds in context (Mic'd/DI) to an audience.
Perhaps the Nextone would be a similar experience, because I thought Ed's video above sounded fine (especially compared to some of the other ones I've seen on YT).

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

bbrunskill wrote:edit: Ed's video was far better and the LP tones were nice. Once again I felt the strat tones were not for me.
I'm pretty new to the Strat thing so maybe I'm just not dialling in a "classic" tone? What would you expect/want it to sound like?

I've actually found that the lead channel on the Nextone amps is where a lot of great in-between sounds live, and I'd be surprised if it couldn't get in the ballpark, especially with a bit of tuning using the editor.

Funny how we all hear things differently though - we've had SO many comments on Brett Kingman's video to the effect of "this is THE Strat tone I've been chasing!". For me, it sounded amazing in the room but for my tastes the engineer at the studio made some "interesting" mic/mix choices (SM57 and an R-121) which imo made the video sound a lot more sizzly/scoopy than necessarily was the case.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

null_pointer wrote:My Katana experience was I didn't really like it in the room. Meh. But I thought seeing I had one I may as well play it out, and whatdya know it sounded bloody good coming through the PA. So I can only ascertain that something about the speaker to ear thing is the issue with them (for me). Because by the time it was piped through 5000 watts I thought it sounded every bit as good as the BadCat.
So I guess the reality is my problem with most of these types of things is how I feel and interact with it, not actually how it really sounds in context (Mic'd/DI) to an audience.
Perhaps the Nextone would be a similar experience, because I thought Ed's video above sounded fine (especially compared to some of the other ones I've seen on YT).
Recording the Nextone amps has definitely been a bit of a mixed bag on Youtube. I decided to keep it pretty simple, and use a vocal/condenser type mic to try and capture more of the fullness of the sound rather than the pretty focused SM57 vibe which is so often used on guitar cabs (and is great for high gain and crunch, but not so good at representing the fuller dynamics and sounds of cleaner tones imo).

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

slash-ed wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:edit: Ed's video was far better and the LP tones were nice. Once again I felt the strat tones were not for me.
I'm pretty new to the Strat thing so maybe I'm just not dialling in a "classic" tone? What would you expect/want it to sound like?
IMHO the Nextone Strat demo sounded thin and glassy (forgive me for saying). This one track on the other hand contains some of the greatest Strat tones I've ever heard. The entire album for that matter is, to me, quintessential Strat. From 4:40 if you can't stand Mayer.

Now, if you can just tweak the Nextone to sound like a six-figure Dumble-like rig, that'd be lovely. :thumbup:

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Molly wrote:....This one track on the other hand contains some of the greatest Strat tones I've ever heard. The entire album for that matter is, to me, quintessential Strat. From 4:40 if you can't stand Mayer.

Ooof!

This may sound harsh but the tones in that clip were so cliched... might as well say Celine Dion is the greatest singer ever.
They're not bad per se... but for a guitar that has been used by so many to stretch the envelope of possibility to breaking point, that was so... 'safe'.... like not even touching the sides of an envelope that has been ironed flat. Maybe even wrapping the envelope tightly around the lowest common denominator of conservative taste.

Sorry Molly.

;)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Ed's question was about classic tones, not tones that push the possibilities. What did you have in mind?