Bass amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Bass amps

Post by griff »

Hey dudes
Our bass player has finally decided to kick his line 6 Low Down to the curb and wants to replace it with something. He's an exceptional player but knows nothing about gear.
He was asking me last night what's out there. I dont really know jack about bass amps either but said I would ask on here for some help. We're a 3 piece playing hard rock covers with quite a loud drummer.
The Low Down he was using had a single 15" in it and a line out to the p.a. It seems to be loud enough but can lack a little 'punch' if you know what I mean. Probably due to the large driver.
Not sure on his budget. Nothing too flash but also nothing shit obvioisly. Lets just say reliable and great sounding.
School me.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Re: Bass amps

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I can definitely recommend one of gallien-kruger RB series heads. I picked up an older rb400 (i think) for $250 on tardme. Matched with a neodynium markbass 2x12 it does the job very nicely.
The GK has a great EQ, bi amp option and DI out. Sounds clean, punchy and present.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

New series of Fender Rumble 500 is what I would buy if I got a gig as a bass player again.

Compact
Light
500w
2x10
Bit over a grand new

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Blackstar unity series very cool. Will be buying the little one.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:I can definitely recommend one of gallien-kruger RB series heads. I picked up an older rb400 (i think) for $250 on tardme. Matched with a neodynium markbass 2x12 it does the job very nicely.
The GK has a great EQ, bi amp option and DI out. Sounds clean, punchy and present.
+1 on this- it’s a very good sounding rig, and easily keeps up with a loud drummer.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

bender wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:I can definitely recommend one of gallien-kruger RB series heads. I picked up an older rb400 (i think) for $250 on tardme. Matched with a neodynium markbass 2x12 it does the job very nicely.
+1 on this- it’s a very good sounding rig, and easily keeps up with a loud drummer.
Very pedal friendly?

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jake »

griff7628 wrote:
bender wrote:
Very pedal friendly?
For bass I currently run a Gallien Krueger head and cab: a 1001RBII head (750watts) into the 410RBH cabinet, sounds absolutely killer in my opinion. I love a 4x10 cabinet for punchiness over a 1x15 but that's personal preference.
The GK stuff is voiced to be a little bit grunty anyway, so in my experience takes drive pedals and the like better than some other brands.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Mark bass.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Kev77 wrote:Mark bass.
Is the correct answer ;) I have ampeg svt-200t into genz-benz cab. but Mark Bass is my ideal.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Awesome. Plenty of options to look at now guys.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Yeah the Markbass stuff is great. Goes really well with pedals in the nose, plenty of grunt and definition. I have the Jeff Berlin CMD 151P (1x15) and use it at least 50% of the time (I also have a Fender Bassman TV Duo 10). I see them pop up on TM around that $1k mark for the combos, and it would be money well spent.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Is there much difference in tone between tubes and solid state for bass amps?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

griff7628 wrote:Is there much difference in tone between tubes and solid state for bass amps?
Yeah I think so

"Live Bass" in a rock band gigging the biggest single contributor to Bass Tone is potentially the Sound Person.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

What sort of minimum wattage head should he be running if just going through a 4x10 and maybe a sub later on

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

>=400.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.