Any thoughts re: attenuators?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Any thoughts re: attenuators?

Post by chur »

calling card wrote:Thanks! oh well best sit tight & see.
Or chat to StrummersOfThunder on here about the airbrake clone he got made locally. Maybe this route is affordable.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Cheers, there's this dirt cheap hack I could try; https://www.parts-express.com/parts-exp ... m--260-261 :D
Like the idea of getting into reactive territory though, although I don't entirely understand the intricacies of it.

And as for my green THD hotplate mistake...well maybe there's the excuse to get the bassman 4x10 I never got.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

At the time I was looking for an attenuator (this was before the 'reactive load' ones,) the best one I came across was the THD Hotplate. I liked it more than the Marshall Powerbrake, and both weber ones., and one other one that I tried - but can't remember the name of.

I also tried the Two notes Torpedo. Liked that, but they're only eight ohm, and all my cabs are 16 ohms. It was probably better, but not really noticeably better than my THD.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

But the Webers are Reactive aren't they? Maybe they weren't as good as the THD because the older ones were resistive..?

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

I always wonder how much the reactive/resistive thing matters when you are still running a cabinet after the attenuator. For a full load box i can see how reactive is king.

From my experience not running enough watts into a speaker when using an attenuator is what kills the tone.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

I know what you're saying, although I've not tried any attenuation the things I'm reading point towards that.
The commercial resistive units usually having some filters added but the core is an L pad kind of thing.

So I've made up my mind... incoming
16 ohm 100 watt rated L pad.

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Oh dear just spotted that post above, in a box awaiting attention haha! aint no one got time for that!

Seems I'll need a special rca to tip sleeve to configure a THD green hotplate to Bassman that's riding around in a Fastway van at the moment.

Meanwhile picked up this in the hardware shop, fire screen, so many ways to skin a cat.