Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Molly
I think it's true that they haven't done anything like this before (well, as far as I know). Never heard a Mesa that could do a nice SRV tone (which I think this one could).
BY jeremyb
Molly wrote:Is it my ears or do the demos make it sound dark; like there's a blanket over it? That typical Mesa thing.

Had your ears checked for wax? Sounds sparkly to me!!
BY Molly
jeremyb wrote:
Molly wrote:Is it my ears or do the demos make it sound dark; like there's a blanket over it? That typical Mesa thing.

Had your ears checked for wax? Sounds sparkly to me!!

Say again?
BY Reg18
I quite like the sound of the cleans although the overdriven tones still have that Mesa thing to my ears, it’s hard to describe but they all seem to have it.
This one has more appeal to me than most of their other current models however.
BY Single coil
Reg18 wrote:the overdriven tones still have that Mesa thing to my ears, it’s hard to describe but they all seem to have it.

The same sorta thing as people saying prs guitars sound sterile?

(I don’t think they do)
BY Reg18
Single coil wrote:
Reg18 wrote:the overdriven tones still have that Mesa thing to my ears, it’s hard to describe but they all seem to have it.

The same sorta thing as people saying prs guitars sound sterile?

(I don’t think they do)

It’s the low gain/mid gain tones that I’m thinking of, Ive owned about 3 Mesas previously and played lots more, it’s hard to describe but it never sounds quite right to me.
As for PRS, amazing guitars that play and sound great! but I’ll always struggle to seperate them from the 90s Numetal scene, although a local pawnshop has a Custom 22 coming out shortly which has got my attention.
BY JHorner

Not claiming to be an amp dialling in expert, and no idea how the guitar tone controls were set, but it looks like they all had way more bass and or less treble than I would.

BY Molly
JHorner wrote:

Not claiming to be an amp dialling in expert, and no idea how the guitar tone controls were set, but it looks like they all had way more bass and or less treble than I would.

Mesa usually advise you to reduce the bass as you increase the gain. Not so in the examples, eh.
BY Kris
theres prob a fair bit of unconscious bias going on-i thought pretty much the same,"that sounds pretty modern/mesa" (despite this intended market being leagues out of my wheelhouse) if i hadnt have seen the amp or known it was a mesa id be none the wiser.Maybe.