Jansen Amp Identification?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Stefan
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Jansen Amp Identification?

Post by Stefan »

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and require some help identifying two amps.

I am looking at purchasing one or both of these amps as in need of repair; however, I have no idea of the age, origin or price of these amps. I have heard of a company in NZ making amps a while ago under the name of Jansen but cannot find any catalogues. The only information I have that could date the amps is a sticker on the back that is some sort of inspection sticker dated to the year of 1999 Could anybody help?

(Sorry about the image quality they had to be severely compressed to be uploaded to the site) The amp models are as follows:

Jansen Session man Bass 100

Jansen Session man Keyboard 100
Two.jpg
One.jpg

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: Jansen Amp Identification?

Post by H671 »

Stefan wrote:Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and require some help identifying two amps.

I am looking at purchasing one or both of these amps as in need of repair; however, I have no idea of the age, origin or price of these amps. I have heard of a company in NZ making amps a while ago under the name of Jansen but cannot find any catalogues. The only information I have that could date the amps is a sticker on the back that is some sort of inspection sticker dated to the year of 1999 Could anybody help?

(Sorry about the image quality they had to be severely compressed to be uploaded to the site) The amp models are as follows:

Jansen Session man Bass 100

Jansen Session man Keyboard 100
Two.jpg
One.jpg
I had a Session Man 100 Bass head & I have the circuit diagram for it.
Jansen was repairing them but their technician (John) has retired & will only repair certain items if he feels like it.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Stefan
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Stefan »

Hi H671

Thank you for your response, if possible a circuit diagram would be useful to have, on the note of repairs I am more than willing to repair these myself. I mainly stumbled across these as I was looking for something to repair in the first place.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Stefan wrote:Hi H671

Thank you for your response, if possible a circuit diagram would be useful to have, on the note of repairs I am more than willing to repair these myself. I mainly stumbled across these as I was looking for something to repair in the first place.
If I were you I would hold out for a faulty Jansen valve amp in head format to fix.

A puny 100W bass combo is not much more than a practice amp and will be hard to shift.

Also, selling it will be a problem.

/I'll get my coat

Stefan
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Stefan »

Thanks for the heads up I wasn’t sure of the value for these amps, regarding the Jansen brand are they at all valuable? Sorry if this is a stupid question I am just new to the brand.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Stefan wrote:Thanks for the heads up I wasn’t sure of the value for these amps, regarding the Jansen brand are they at all valuable? Sorry if this is a stupid question I am just new to the brand.
Hmm. Define "valuable".

In the solidstate area, here is 220W head, I know 2 bass players who speak highly of this model, the owner has spent $120 fixing it and has been trying to sell it for $350 for several months.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 714425.htm

I'm going to say there is low demand for Jansen solidstate bass heads.

On the other hand, Jansen Bassman valve heads don't go for huge money, but I don't see them hanging around on trademe for ages either. There is some demand.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

the valve stuff had a mini surge in value a few years back, mainly due to the kiwiana nostalgia factor but since then its tapered off pretty steeply.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Stefan wrote:Thanks for the heads up I wasn’t sure of the value for these amps, regarding the Jansen brand are they at all valuable? Sorry if this is a stupid question I am just new to the brand.
Valuable, no. That said, this is my #1 go-to amp.
Hand made in 1964, so really nothing like the two you are looking at.
IMG_1263.JPG
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

I also had the Jansen Crusader 330 head, it was actually quite good, but the Session Man was nothing to write home about.
Anyway PM me if you want the circuit diagrams.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Stefan
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Stefan »

Slowy wrote:
Valuable, no. That said, this is my #1 go-to amp.
Hand made in 1964, so really nothing like the two you are looking at.
IMG_1263.JPG
It is a beautiful amp, I’ve "past participle of get" tired of all the modern cheap mass production amps and where there are new hand wired amps they can get very expensive. I want to have a look around to see if I can find something for myself however Im not so big in the second hand market and haven’t a clue where to find something like this for an affordable price. As a side note I enjoy my Mexican Fender Bass Six however I mainly play guitar.

Stefan
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Stefan »

JHorner wrote:
Hmm. Define "valuable".

In the solidstate area, here is 220W head, I know 2 bass players who speak highly of this model, the owner has spent $120 fixing it and has been trying to sell it for $350 for several months.

On the other hand, Jansen Bassman valve heads don't go for huge money, but I don't see them hanging around on trademe for ages either. There is some demand.
Good to know thanks for the info.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Stefan wrote:
JHorner wrote:
Hmm. Define "valuable".

Good to know thanks for the info.
Stefan! Here you go, buy this.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 619891.htm
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.