Bollocks.... I think I want a Kemper :-(

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Bollocks.... I think I want a Kemper :-(

Post by Molly »

Notice this isn't in the WTB section. Not there yet. But I have spent a few hours this evening following up a conversation with someone earlier this week who was extolling the virtues of their Kemper / 212 rig. Usual round of YouTube demos with all the usual suspects. Not showing you anything you don't already know I'm sure but check-out the first three profiles in this. Bollocks, they sound good...

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Bollocks.... I think I want a Kemper :-(

Post by StratMatt »

Worth having a proper go at imo. I’ve been on the digital buzz for 2 years now, no amp gas whatsoever. The Kemper would be the one for you over the Fractal I reckon.
Loving it so far

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Couple of things have put me off thus far. The idea that I'd buy it and next week it'd be rendered obsolete by a new version at half the price. And that it'd just be a massive rabbit hole. That said, the demos I've enjoyed this evening were, or seemed to be, uncomplicated to use. I didn't see any fancy additional gear that I'd have to buy or get my head around.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I've owned my Kemper now for nigh on 5 years (I think it was September 2013 I got it). I've never been happier with any single piece of kit. Even now, I have in my music room a vintage Mesa Mk IV, two ToneKings and a Goodsell. And its the Kemper which gets 99% of the use.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Any Christchurch members using one?

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

My toaster sold but I am keeping my rack. it is a fantastic piece of kit. In my opinion if you like amps then a Kemper makes sense, if you are more into effects then Axefx. Ease of use and an all rounder Helix.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

I'm with ops.

I've owned a kemper twice now.

Best tone I've ever had.

Only going to axefx for the effects now
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

HD500X /end thread
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I should add, you don’t get by with just the Kemper. Assume also the cost of a remote (or at least some midi controller), plus powered FRFR cab or similar solution. Plus potentially a couple of hundred dollars worth of profiles. So I reckon you actually need to budget $4-5k including potentially stereo cabs.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Molly wrote:Couple of things have put me off thus far. The idea that I'd buy it and next week it'd be rendered obsolete by a new version at half the price. And that it'd just be a massive rabbit hole. That said, the demos I've enjoyed this evening were, or seemed to be, uncomplicated to use. I didn't see any fancy additional gear that I'd have to buy or get my head around.
Kemper is part of the same company that makes Access Virus synths etc, they don't change stuff very often, the Kemper is basically perfect as it is so why would they need to change it?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

The cost can indeed be eye watering. I was lucky enough to get a great deal from Troy with the Kemper plus profiles, then paid peanuts for a reprommed behringer foot controller. I have decent monitors already. All up, $2500.

As the others have said, it gets used a lot. You need to invest time to get settings that suit you, but they are somewhere in the box. I have not yet sold my amps, because Toobes, but they don’t get used much any more.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I really don’t think it’s you... but I know you’ll probably have one by the end of this month.

My only ‘bollocks’ moment so far today is realising I need to change my avatar. You win!

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Multiamp

Just sayin
:mental:

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

I have to join MF's minority vote and say I wouldn't think this was quite you. But do as you will good Sir, I've always been curious to try one just to see what they 'feel' like.
I'll just stick over here with my AC30.....and bleeding ears.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

CAVEAT:
Kempers are fiddly things. There is a learning curve and a lot of buttons and knobs. And the amps sound like they do on recordings, not how they would sound in 'your' room. So they lose some of that 'immediate' sound that a good amp has. But they sure sound good through headphones as a result. Note, I'm sure more advanced Kemper users could help minimise this issue. It is only a small thing, and the quality and sheer volume of fantastic amp tones makes up for it.