Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY godgrinder
#784377
Depth/resonance works in the NFB section of the amp, most 1-5w amps don't have that section (which is why most of them don't have presence control either).
User avatar
BY Kloppsta
#784378
griff7628 wrote:In a way I suppose it's a resonance thing. I installed one in my jet city 20 watt and I actually have to roll it back a fair bit when playing small pubs because it's too powerful at times. As the night goes on, the depth goes up haha
It increases bass, punch and transients quite a bit. Also volume goes up 15% or so, I love it. I got the schematic from a jet city modder in the states.
Funnily enough my amp has been modded to an AFD marshall with a Plexi switch that drops out a gain stage. 20 watts and it kills man. If you wanted to go down that road I can suss ya something. Its dual channel too.


hmmmm.....please sir, tell me more! which Jet City do you have? did you do the mods yourself? after buying the amp and doing the mods etc. what does it owe you all up ya reckon?
User avatar
BY Kloppsta
#784379
godgrinder wrote:Depth/resonance works in the NFB section of the amp, most 1-5w amps don't have that section (which is why most of them don't have presence control either).


OIC.....so the mod that griff was talking about....does that basically add in a NFB section into the amp? do you know why it is left out of low wattage amps?
User avatar
BY jeremyb
#784380
Modding a 1W amp is pure madness, and you'll end up with something that doesn't do what you want and no one will want to buy for anything like what it's cost you :(
User avatar
BY griff7628
#784381
Kloppsta wrote:
griff7628 wrote:In a way I suppose it's a resonance thing. I installed one in my jet city 20 watt and I actually have to roll it back a fair bit when playing small pubs because it's too powerful at times. As the night goes on, the depth goes up haha
It increases bass, punch and transients quite a bit. Also volume goes up 15% or so, I love it. I got the schematic from a jet city modder in the states.
Funnily enough my amp has been modded to an AFD marshall with a Plexi switch that drops out a gain stage. 20 watts and it kills man. If you wanted to go down that road I can suss ya something. Its dual channel too.


hmmmm.....please sir, tell me more! which Jet City do you have? did you do the mods yourself? after buying the amp and doing the mods etc. what does it owe you all up ya reckon?


PM'd mate
User avatar
BY Kloppsta
#784383
jeremyb wrote:Modding a 1W amp is pure madness, and you'll end up with something that doesn't do what you want and no one will want to buy for anything like what it's cost you :(


fair point....i guess the way im looking at it is, i cant do the big amp thing anymore. i want a low watt tube amp, cause ive done the digital thing many times and have come back full circle. it needs to be home/night time/sleeping kids/recording friendly. it also needs to be simple. not too many bells and whistles.

these 1W marshalls and similar low wattage amps from other brands are pretty cheap to begin with. upgrading the OT and tubes is probably a $150 exercise. so even if i sink $600 or so in buying the amp and modding it to be more align with what i like tone and feature wise, to me that is worth it. with this level of investment it is unlikely to be something i would sell anyway. if i wanted a bigger amp down the line i would still keep the small guy too.

just not sure what other options there are for my situation :(
User avatar
BY Single coil
#784384
Old valve radio with an input
Get you about 1/4 watt
User avatar
BY Olderama
#784385
Kloppsta wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Modding a 1W amp is pure madness, and you'll end up with something that doesn't do what you want and no one will want to buy for anything like what it's cost you :(


fair point....i guess the way im looking at it is, i cant do the big amp thing anymore. i want a low watt tube amp, cause ive done the digital thing many times and have come back full circle. it needs to be home/night time/sleeping kids/recording friendly. it also needs to be simple. not too many bells and whistles.

these 1W marshalls and similar low wattage amps from other brands are pretty cheap to begin with. upgrading the OT and tubes is probably a $150 exercise. so even if i sink $600 or so in buying the amp and modding it to be more align with what i like tone and feature wise, to me that is worth it. with this level of investment it is unlikely to be something i would sell anyway. if i wanted a bigger amp down the line i would still keep the small guy too.

just not sure what other options there are for my situation :(

Still got the knucklehead?
User avatar
BY Kloppsta
#784386
Olderama wrote:Still got the knucklehead?


yip still got it, sitting quietly in the corner.
User avatar
BY godgrinder
#784388
Kloppsta wrote:does that basically add in a NFB section into the amp? do you know why it is left out of low wattage amps?


It doesn't "add in" a NFB section, it opens up some controls on the existing NFB. IE not possible if it's not there in the first place.

1-5w amps are usually single-ended and it seems like NFB is rather uncommon on SE designs. You'd have to ask someone more technical minded on exact reasons.

Also any low end increase you have on the amp are still eventually limited by the capability/headroom of the output tubes. You won't get what you want with 1 or 5 watts (or even 20w really).

I'd recommend keeping the Rivera, you're basically chasing your own tail here. Chuck a volume pedal in the loop for night noodling.
User avatar
BY Kloppsta
#784409
godgrinder wrote:
Kloppsta wrote:does that basically add in a NFB section into the amp? do you know why it is left out of low wattage amps?


It doesn't "add in" a NFB section, it opens up some controls on the existing NFB. IE not possible if it's not there in the first place.

1-5w amps are usually single-ended and it seems like NFB is rather uncommon on SE designs. You'd have to ask someone more technical minded on exact reasons.

Also any low end increase you have on the amp are still eventually limited by the capability/headroom of the output tubes. You won't get what you want with 1 or 5 watts (or even 20w really).

I'd recommend keeping the Rivera, you're basically chasing your own tail here. Chuck a volume pedal in the loop for night noodling.


cheers for the info. you are probably right about keeping the Rivera.
User avatar
BY Olderama
#784410
Ive a Digitech GSP1010 running 4cm through my 50 watt loop and able to quieten down considerably the level without colouring the sound
User avatar
BY chur
#784420
griff7628 wrote:Also my amp has a built power dampening dial for low volume jammin


Which of the JC's do you have?
User avatar
BY jeremyb
#784425
Buy opsguy's katana head, bargain at $450, and does everything you need!