Tube amp techs in Auckland?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Tube amp techs in Auckland?

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I’ve got an amp that needs a service and a couple of niggles fixed (Goodsell Super 17). Who do we have to recommend nowadays?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Tube amp techs in Auckland?

Post by willow13 »

If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Clarry Schollum. 34 Audio.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

https://www.facebook.com/ITElectronicsRepair/
This dude fixed my mate's Engl Savage which Alan fucked up and Clarry didn't want to touch.

Did a good job on my Fryette 2902 as well.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

godgrinder wrote: This dude fixed my mate's Engl Savage which Alan fucked up and Clarry didn't want to touch.
Just out of curiosity, did you tell them that the amp came back with problems and did they get the chance to correct it? All amp techs make mistakes from time to time but what really sets a good tech apart from the rest is the way they deal with unhappy customers when fuck-ups occur.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

RectifiedAmps wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you tell them that the amp came back with problems and did they get the chance to correct it? All amp techs make mistakes from time to time but what really sets a good tech apart from the rest is the way they deal with unhappy customers when fuck-ups occur.
It was brought in to fix some issues on channel 1 but Alan somehow fucked up channel 2 during that process. My mate was afraid that Alan will fuck up channel 3 or 4 on the next attempt so he sought someone else, which I thought was fair enough.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

godgrinder wrote:
RectifiedAmps wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you tell them that the amp came back with problems and did they get the chance to correct it? All amp techs make mistakes from time to time but what really sets a good tech apart from the rest is the way they deal with unhappy customers when fuck-ups occur.
It was brought in to fix some issues on channel 1 but Alan somehow fucked up channel 2 during that process. My mate was afraid that Alan will fuck up channel 3 or 4 on the next attempt so he sought someone else, which I thought was fair enough.
always give a guy a chance to fix something though, if something has a knock on effect and he isn't aware of it, how will he know?

Anyway, yeah the guy on the shore is great, I've never used him but he did say my pod 2.0 was a write off when I spilt red wine in it :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

When it comes to 2nd chances... Clarry repaired my Holden a few year ago, then it blew up during a studio session shortly afterwards. Gave him a 2nd chance to fix it but still had problems afterwards. Ended up taking it to Ryan and had no problem with it since.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Must have been an off day, I've only ever dealt with Clarry once though but he certainly has the reputation. Took my Carvin to Jansen (the carvin dealers) charged through the nose and still the same afterwards. It was an awesome amp for one gig, shit after that. I heard something Pop and it went shitty, put me off Carvin for life.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Ahhh Ryan . ...
Clarry has given nothing but top notch service to me and LOADS of free time and advice. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Yeah, Clarry is the Yoda of amp repairs.

I think for an amp like the Goodsell, he’d be an excellent choice. For a multichannel, high gain amp, maybe not so much.

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

Bg wrote:
godgrinder wrote:
always give a guy a chance to fix something though, if something has a knock on effect and he isn't aware of it, how will he know?

Anyway, yeah the guy on the shore is great, I've never used him but he did say my pod 2.0 was a write off when I spilt red wine in it :lol:
Thanks for the comments BG.
This is indeed the first time I have heard of this "Fuck Up" and I always revisit any comebacks at no charge!
I do remember the ENGL amplifier and my comments about the nightmarish design of it's innards.
The only thing making it "an off day" was when I saw inside the chassis of the ENGL and thought WTF were these Germans thinking when they built this?
ENGL has been added to my Do Not Open This Can of Worms list.
Incidentally Clarry and most other Techs have a similar list of Technical nightmares to be avoided.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:
Bg wrote:
godgrinder wrote:

Thanks for the comments BG.
This is indeed the first time I have heard of this "Fuck Up" and I always revisit any comebacks at no charge!
I do remember the ENGL amplifier and my comments about the nightmarish design of it's innards.
The only thing making it "an off day" was when I saw inside the chassis of the ENGL and thought WTF were these Germans thinking when they built this?
ENGL has been added to my Do Not Open This Can of Worms list.
Incidentally Clarry and most other Techs have a similar list of Technical nightmares to be avoided.
Out of interest what amp manufacturers make the best for working on ?
:mental:

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Clarry has been nothing but generous with time and bang on with his work.

Clarry recommends a Gary Beatty, based in Blockhouse Bay. Any feedback on Beatty please?

By the way, I have a wireless unit for my guitar which doesn't work. Is there anyone you might recommend for this job? I bought the unit from a forum member who I won't name; he isn't one of the high volume posting regulars.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

Any amplifier which is laid out inside in a manner which allows signal paths to be traced and voltages measured whilst it is operating is OK, it is when whole sections are stacked one above the other and access to test points is impossible that things get tricky.
This type of construction can only be repaired by changing whole PCBs or by testing the suspect PCB in a specifically designed test jig which only exists in the factory it was made in.

When presented with this type of repair the Tech can dismantle, make static component tests in the area where the problem may be and/or make an educated guess as to where the fault is, change a component , reassemble, test again, if no repair effected, dismantle and repeat............

I enjoy working on most brands of amps even when they are a bit challenging, but some modern amps seem to be designed to be replaced not repaired.

https://www.facebook.com/Muddlearth/
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"