Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.
Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black
BY werdna - Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 am
- Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 am
Matt, interesting and a big thanks for the info. Once I'm set up, let's swap Synergy preamps from time to time.
- Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 am
No problem, especially if it facilitates more chat on the topic. Happy to exchange preamps too
- Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:03 pm
Mattallica wrote:The Synergy modules come with a channel select switch for use with the older single channel hardware(Randall), so you can pick between red or blue. However this isn't on all modules. My BE doesn't have the channel switch. I don't know if it's by design or if they were only added to the later revisions.
Because some of them are just the same channel with two sets of gain/vol controls so there's no point putting a toggle switch on it. The ones that actually have 2 different channels would have the switch.
Soldano SLO100 | Wizard Modern Classic
Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A
VHT/Fryette GP3, GPDI & 2902 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Lee Jackson GP-1000
Soldano 412 | Engl Pro 412 | Orange PPC412
Marshall MF400A | Krank SST412 | Mesa Thiele 112
- Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:19 am
Has anyone got an RM4 or M4 kicking about?
- Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 am
Does anyone have a stock "Brit" module going?
BY werdna - Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:31 am
- Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:31 am
I am thinking of modding my RM4 for Synergy modules.
1. The initial gain stage on the RM4 is in the chassis. It is Fender biased. All MTS modules are made for the Fender bias, no matter what their flavor. The initial gain stage in the SN2 is also in the chassis, but is switchable between Fender, Marshall or boutique amp bias. Each Synergy module has a switch tells the SN2 which bias to use. For example, if you put in an SLO module, the SN2 will switch to boutique amp bias. What this means is that in the RM4, which doesn't have biasing for any amp flavor other than Fender and doesn't have hardware to pick up the message about biasing preference from the Synergy module, won't sound so great with a Marshall or boutique amp flavored module. To fix this, it is necessary to add two further bias circuits to the chassis of the RM4. Preferably those circuits would be switchable for each module port in the chassis. This would mean that in the middle of a song you could switch from a Fender to a Marshall type Synergy module and the biasing would change too. For example, if you have TDLX, Plexi, 800 and SLO modules, port 1 can be switched to Fender for the TDLW, ports two and three to the Marshall ones, and port 4 to boutique amp bias for the SLO. I expect this could be done by way of a din switch at the back of the RM4.
2. The midi channel switching on the RM4 is for four channels only, but the Synergy units each have two channels, so the RM4 can't pick up the second channel on those units. The midi chip can be swapped out to get 8 channels. The chip is on special from a guy in Berlin for 150 euros right now.
Do you chaps know anyone in Auckland who would be able to do this kind of work please?
BY werdna - Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 pm
- Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 pm
Another question: does Synergy have a distributor in NZ?
BY werdna - Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:53 pm
- Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:53 pm
Also, do you think you could have two Syn2 chassis in the rack and midi-switch being all 8 channels. Or would it be impossible to programme the chassis that is not in use so that its modules switched off?
- Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:41 pm
werdna wrote:Also, do you think you could have two Syn2 chassis in the rack and midi-switch being all 8 channels. Or would it be impossible to programme the chassis that is not in use so that its modules switched off?
This one is easy. You manually set each syn2 to one of the 16 midi channels. You send one of six cc messages to each syn2 over their respective midi channels. The six messages are the four channels, bypass and mute.
So for example you would have one preset on your midi controller that sends the pick channel 1 message to the syn2 receiving on midi channel 1, and the go into bypass message to the syn2 receiving on midi channel 2.
Clear as mud?
- Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:17 pm
werdna wrote:Another question: does Synergy have a distributor in NZ?
Guitars: Duesenberg Starplayer TV Sparkle-blue, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Rimu Telecaster, DIY P90 Jazzmaster, Maton MS2000DLX Custom Shop, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Sterling RAY34 Bass, Fender CS 54' Strat