The NZG MTS Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: The NZG MTS Thread

Post by Optical »

By replacing components with different value components... Maybe try removing C4 first (unsolder one leg and lift it up); then changing R28 to a lower value - can solder another resistor in parallel with it to reduce the overall value. Try adding a 100k resistor across it first and see if that improves things enough. That resistor is essentially another gain control for the next stage, it just isnt variable.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Module mods have been parked for now. I've added this to the amp. I have to say that drilling a hole in a perfectly good amp had me grimacing. Fortunately, it works as planned:

http://imgur.com/a/NO1jVfq

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Mattallica wrote:Module mods have been parked for now. I've added this to the amp. I have to say that drilling a hole in a perfectly good amp had me grimacing. Fortunately, it works as planned:

http://imgur.com/a/NO1jVfq

What does it do, please?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

What does it do, please?
It's covered here:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

For me, it's mainly so that the synergy modules sound better in the Randall without having to modify the module itself

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Another module for the pile. Cleans abound with this:

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

I've ordered the dual channel mod direct. I will post when it arrives.

Has anybody bought any more bits recently?

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

I need to have a couple of modules modded but don't have the skills to do it myself and Clarry isn't up for it.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

werdna wrote:I need to have a couple of modules modded but don't have the skills to do it myself and Clarry isn't up for it.
Ive modded several of the older MTS modules for friends before, just about any preamp is possible.
hmu if you guys want a tweak or a rewire.
Have you PM'd Optical?

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

I am interested in after-market modules to give a Fender sound. For example, I am keen to find out about the Salvation Mods TwinFace or Lonestar. Does anyone have something like this?

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

The Salvation Loneclean is the Mesa Lonestar preamp so that's well known at least...

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Dual channel mod arrived today. Now to procrastinate with the installation!

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

Love the sound of the Synergy modules. Think I will buy some. I have questions about compatibility with my RT2/RM4.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

werdna wrote:Love the sound of the Synergy modules. Think I will buy some. I have questions about compatibility with my RT2/RM4.
What do you want to know?

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

Since the first gain stage is in the shell, if I use my RM4 which has a Fender gain stage I'll have to install a bias switch so the Marshall type modules sound good.

I don't know if I'll be able to midi switch between each channel in a Synergy module.

I don't know if the modules are voiced for the Synergy power stages, or whether my RM4 will sound good. Seems like Synergy didn't go as far as they could have with the power amp which only takes 6L6s. Don't fancy Marshall sounds with anything other than EL34s.

Tough choice between the Plexi, Metroplex and JCM800. Plexi sounds very authentic but I like the slight extra gain in the Metroplex. Tough choice between the Bman and TDeluxe, but think I'll go for the latter. Everyone raves about the SLO. Have room for one more. Impossible to try them out in NZ.

I wonder if the curved sides of the preamps will look shit in the straight sided cavities on the RM4. Rather have two Synergy preamps but not sure I can justify it.

As you can see, plenty of thoughts.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Since the first gain stage is in the shell, if I use my RM4 which has a Fender gain stage I'll have to install a bias switch so the Marshall type modules sound good.
A less invasive method would be to change the cathode resistor and bypass cap to the marshall values in the shell, then compensate at the module (the fendery ones) for any loss of bottom end.
For the Randall modules that means increasing the size of the input cap (C1 or C3 depending on the module) or using the tight/bass switches on the dual channel modules.
This way you can always revert back to stock if you want to.
Also you set the bias on the module with the Synergy stuff, so it's all down to preference. You might like the Marshall modules with the stock fender values.
I don't know if I'll be able to midi switch between each channel in a Synergy module.
The midi switching works as normal but you only get the blue channel of the module. If you want to access both channels with the RM4, you will have to buy and install the dual channel mod.
The Synergy modules come with a channel select switch for use with the older single channel hardware(Randall), so you can pick between red or blue. However this isn't on all modules. My BE doesn't have the channel switch. I don't know if it's by design or if they were only added to the later revisions.
I don't know if the modules are voiced for the Synergy power stages, or whether my RM4 will sound good. Seems like Synergy didn't go as far as they could have with the power amp which only takes 6L6s. Don't fancy Marshall sounds with anything other than EL34s.
My BE sounds fine with the EL34L's in my amp. I can only speculate about the voicing. I don't think the power valve type comes into the equation much. They switched to 6L6s at the last minute for the heads, saying that it was for better tube reliability. There are plenty of Marshalls that use KT88s or 6550s too, so again, i wouldn't worry about this IMO.
Tough choice between the Plexi, Metroplex and JCM800. Plexi sounds very authentic but I like the slight extra gain in the Metroplex. Tough choice between the Bman and TDeluxe, but think I'll go for the latter. Everyone raves about the SLO. Have room for one more. Impossible to try them out in NZ.
Tough choice indeed! If it means anything, the Metroplex seems to be the most resold out of the lot (together with the HBE). I think the Dirty Shirley would cover all three of those but the Friedman voicing is slightly different. Even the BE might. I don't have anything Plexi like to compare it to.
The Bman blue channel is the cleanest out of those two modules if that's important for you.
I wonder if the curved sides of the preamps will look shit in the straight sided cavities on the RM4. Rather have two Synergy preamps but not sure I can justify it.
The curves look fine. They don't go past back the screws so it you cant see into the cavity, still plenty of overlap.
I'd much rather have one RM4/M4 than two SYN2s. There's no way to justify the cost difference IMO (in NZ), even with the extra in/outs of the SYN2.
If anyone wants to sell their RM4/M4 in aide of acquiring a SYN2, i will happily take it off your hands.