suggestions pls-cab sim/monitor for cheaps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

suggestions pls-cab sim/monitor for cheaps

Post by Kris »

we are looking at doing some recordings at our 6x3 shed with a basic setup-zoom H6- and while my methodology works for one band,it doesnt for the other.

one band has one guitarist doing all the lead ins so he has a send from an amplifi TT to the drummer for monitoring.The cabs are turned backward to the doors away from the drums and we stand in front of the cabs so we get our monitoring that way.I also send a preamp out signal from both amps to the zoom and slap sims on it in reaper afterwards.so the only mics are the ones on the drums

the other band has both guitarists sharing lead ins so i need to somehow send both signals with sim applied to the drummer.I want a unit that can handle two different sims at once (stereo? with a L+R?)-is there such a thing?or i could just use the TT to put a sim on one and get a cheap solution for the other side without blowing the budget(which is fuck all).it doesnt have to be amazing it just has to not sound like a metal zone into you grandads fountain 3-in-1.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: suggestions pls-cab sim/monitor for cheaps

Post by Delayman »

I think joyo has some copies of the sansamp pedals. They’d be cheap.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Mooer Radar looks like a good cheap IR loader. However if you want really cheap the Joyo amp sim pedals will probably be better and you could buy 2 to do stereo and it would still be like $100ish!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

yeah it seems the mooer/rowin/whatever DI with switchable emulation is the best bet could get two for 100-odd bucks!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

i have one of those joyo californian sound pedals(got given to me) and its AWFUL.But im guessing you mean more like the sansamp ripoffs,which are more than what i need.I also spied this one but again,way to much dollar.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

IIRC, the joyo sansamp rip offs have cab emulation, but not headphone outs. So they sound like balls on headphones unless there is a preamp after them.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I see there’s is a H&K red box on TM for $130 but I don’t have any experience with those ones.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Reg18 wrote:I see there’s is a H&K red box on TM for $130 but I don’t have any experience with those ones.
That’s a great option by the looks. Goes between amp and speaker and sends a line out. Perfect. Quite tempted to get one although I have no need for it.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

yeah I'm tempted to get a Redbox as well, but considering they're $99 USD new, the one on trademe is in my "meh, might as well get a new one" priceband.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Check out the AMT Pangaea that mattalica has for sale for those looking for between the amp and cab options...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

red box has the bonus of being able to send two signals too,so i could have the thru putting the raw preamp to the zoom and the xlr to a mixer for headphones.Especially good as one amp is an EVH stealth with just one send.
Seems behringer have ripped that design off too on the GI 100.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

I thought the "thru" on the redbox was the same signal the amp put out. If you went amp > speaker out > red box > zoom, then the neither the amp nor the zoom would be very happy?

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Kris, you're welcome to try out or borrow the AMT Pangaea if you like. I'm not using it at all at the moment

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

JHorner wrote:I thought the "thru" on the redbox was the same signal the amp put out. If you went amp > speaker out > red box > zoom, then the neither the amp nor the zoom would be very happy?
according to the manual you can run it either between the amp and speaker,or between the pre and power amp (ie in the fx loop) The latter is what i would be doing, although i woudnt be running it back to the poweramp.They recommend using the speaker out->redbox->speaker out for optimal level which i can understand,i had a Unleash and that always performed better being fed by the speaker outs.Its only the drummer getting the cab sim in my situation.
Mattallica wrote:Kris, you're welcome to try out or borrow the AMT Pangaea if you like. I'm not using it at all at the moment
cheers mate,its a great unit but way too much for what i need.Its just for monitoring so a bit of a waste of power in my situation.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Would a second amplifi TT be of any use?

I have one I could move on if you were interested.